OPGI

lrlforfun

OK Riviera People: I just received my first order from the Riviera OPGI catalog. I'd like to share my experience so far and perhaps others could contribute. Over the phone the order person was very nice. He claimed that he didn't really know the First Gen Riviera so I kept that in mind. I ordered 5 parts......

window fuzzy kit

package tray

65 trunk lock gasket

64 rear arm rest covers in white

1/4 window rubber seals

So far the rear arm rest covers need to go back because they are totally incorrect. The 64 "Custom" interior is bright white and their covers were egg shell (off white). This is the color of the standard interior. I also had to cancel my seat cover order because he claimed they were the same egg shell color. I wasn't taking any chances. I ordered the covers from them because Clarks doesn't have the buttons. I ordered stuff from Clarks before and it was really good so I'm going to get the covers from them. I'll have to deal with the buttons.

The package tray is a die cut piece of flat cardboard which I have no idea how it's going to fit let alone look. I will let the upholstery shop check that out.

The products were shipped well and arrived in a timely manner and their return policy seems like it might be customer friendly. I just wish that I could get a Riviera person on the phone who knew the Riviera and knew their product. Mitch

Unfortunately you have joined the club of many other unsatisfied OPGI Riviera customers. I've started the online ordering process from them a couple times but at the end when I learned how badly I was being raked by shipping charges I cancelled the order and never did buy from them.

The notion some of us had dreaming of utopia having a one stop shop for most available Riviera parts when the OPGI catalog was first announced has fizzled miserably. From the two years it took after the catalog announcement to finally getting the catalog in print, to now the inaccurate descriptions, applications, outrageous shipping, and poor service of today has turned me off 100%. I'm in no way implying others shouldn't buy from them if they choose because I'm sure they have some good items. This is just my personal opinion.

I am in the process of a body off resto on a 66 Riv. I will complete that resto without making one purchase from OPGI so there are other options for us.....but they may require a little more effort than opening a fancy catalog with a nice picture on the front.

No matter what, ordering certain parts for Rivs always seems to have some degree of risk no matter who its from because the knowledge base just isn't out there like it is for Camaros, Vettes and Mustangs. There will always be some money and time wasted in wrong parts, returns, etc at best we hope to keep it to a minimum.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Mitch,

Hey, Buddy, you're in luck. Page 28 of Clark's catalog is not on-line but it does exist in their paper catalog. First item on page 28 "RIVIERA UPHOLSTERY BUTTONS - covered with the finyl or fabric to match your uipholstery....."

If you don't have a paper catalog, now is the time to request one. (Clark's has one of the hardest online catalogs to negotiate I've encountered.) The paper catalog doesn't include pricing either but I talked to the lady at Clarks and I think she said somethiig like $2.95 per button or the 36 button set (for a '63) for much better price. A set for a 64 would only need 32 buttons - I didn't ask about them.

Ed

OK Riviera People: Several years ago I purchased the seat cover kit from Clarks for my 65. It has a saddle standard interior. In my opinion the factory vinyl for the 64 and 65 standard interiors was much cheesier than the custom models. Anyway, Clarks sent me the seat covers. The vinyl was the thicker custom type, the fit and look are really excellent. I had a very good upholstery shop do the install and they really look great.

As far as the OPGI I haven't ruled them out as out yet but...........I will be much more careful in ordering from them. The only real consequence I found is that if the OPGI parts need to go back you must go through the hassle of repackaging and mailing them. Mitch

Guest onedesertdog

I've only ordered once from OPGI pertaining to my 65 Rivi.

The correct items arrived, and in a timely fashion. My only concern was the cost of their shipping, but I guess that goes with the territory.

Guest carlbraun

Guys

I have had similar experiences with OPGI and, unfortunately, with Cars, Inc ("The Buick Experts") too. Some of you have read my posts on incorrect parts that were sent to me...parts that werent even close to being correct.

Regarding OPGI...they were recently spotlighted on Hot Rod TV where one of their employees was featured with his 63/64 Ric that appears on the cover of their catalog. Pretty cool how he stressed the importance of originality over the common resto mod or lowrider approach most take with their Rivieras.

While I appreciate what OPGI brings to the table, I've had particular trouble with these guys having the parts IN STOCK. I called OPGI a month or so ago and was ready to buy five items and four of them were out of stock...I didnt ask about the fifth item. My order would have totaled over $500 and they got $0. I went to Cars, Inc in NJ and got some of the items i needed.

Cars, Inc is one of my go-to guys for parts but they too have shipped wrong parts causing delays in my work flow on the car but the biggest complaint I have with these guys is their east coast attitude and verbal communication. Where is the love???

Kevin has always worked with me on things but asking tech questions on parts (after getting burned in the past) usually means that you should ready yourself for an additional dose of attitude. For example, I ordered a front end kit (ball joints, etc) and I asked Kevin if the kit came with upper rubbber A arm bumpers as the catalog indicated 'as needed'. Well...mine needed new upper and lower rubber bumpers and when I asked Kevin if they were included in the kit he said "i dont know...probably...if you're car needs them they're probably included..." We'll they werent included and no, I am not eager to call kevin to remind him of his lame statement and lack of knowledge of what is needed for my car...all of this from the "buick experts".

Unfortunately though, many of the Rivera dismantlers in the ROA magazine seem to be even less interested in offereing parts than OPGI and Cars. Calls to (un-named) dismatlers for common underhood and suspension items seem to go unanswered or are met with quick NO answers. One exeption being Wheatbelt Auto; they always come thru or are quick to say they dont have an item.

Enough of the negativity this morning. My game plan on my Riv project is to try and research who the OEM is of a certain product and go directly to the source or buy a good used piece that usually costs significantly more than a repo but at least it will be correct. Maybe thats why many ROA guys have donor cars sitting in the garage for just such parts.

Rant over...............

Guest REX STALLION

Forget about the rear package shelf from opgi, it has no resemblance to original and I fail to see how you could make it look so. Very disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carl,

I read your post and agree with everything you said.I wont go on and on about my restoration experience but they tip the scale at disapointing in terms of quality and I have ordered from everyone...almost. What I would like to stress to my fellow first gen. restorers is that while rubber the right way is a pleasure to deal with,any weatherstripping pieces made by Metro are total CRAP!.While a lot more expensive and an $18 dollar increase over the catalog price!! I re ordered a pair of door seals from Cars and the fit is superior and the little black fasteners go right in.Unlike Metro brand which bend and self destruct.I dont know who supplies the seals for Cars as they re package but they have the important metal loop which is critical for keeping the upper seal area straight and tight.Now I must replace the upper roof rail window seals as the mitered corner section split on the joint with in 2 months!

Between evilbay and some suppliers I have wasted a lot of cash.I may be pickier than your average person but poor quality is no excuse. Also I love that the genuine GM resto parts are made in Taiwan.

My 63 engine bay is now complete and based on my research,looks damn close to factory.A joy to behold for sure and only took between 80 and 100 hours!!

This is my first stock restoration and every completed task is really rewarding and very addictive.I hope others share the passion.

Good luck on your projects,Mark

Hi Carl,

I read your post and agree with everything you said.I wont go on and on about my restoration experience but they tip the scale at disapointing in terms of quality and I have ordered from everyone...almost. What I would like to stress to my fellow first gen. restorers is that while rubber the right way is a pleasure to deal with,any weatherstripping pieces made by Metro are total CRAP!.While a lot more expensive and an $18 dollar increase over the catalog price!! I re ordered a pair of door seals from Cars and the fit is superior and the little black fasteners go right in.Unlike Metro brand which bend and self destruct.I dont know who supplies the seals for Cars as they re package but they have the important metal loop which is critical for keeping the upper seal area straight and tight.Now I must replace the upper roof rail window seals as the mitered corner section split on the joint with in 2 months!

Between evilbay and some suppliers I have wasted a lot of cash.I may be pickier than your average person but poor quality is no excuse. Also I love that the genuine GM resto parts are made in Taiwan.

My 63 engine bay is now complete and based on my research,looks damn close to factory.A joy to behold for sure and only took between 80 and 100 hours!!

This is my first stock restoration and every completed task is really rewarding and very addictive.I hope others share the passion.

Good luck on your projects,Mark

Mark, please share some pics of your factory fresh engine bay. We would love to see them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now you all have me a bit worried. I have '63 with the standard blue vinyl interior, and, after looking at samples from about a half dozen other sources that were not a good match, have ordered the blue carpet floormats from OPGI, based on their assertion it is a factory match. Should I be concerned?

To what are you matching the samples? Chances are what ever it is if it's original, its faded and isn't a good source for matching. Clarks carpeting is about as close as you can get to the original OE color. If you redo every piece of carpeting in the car, everything will match. Read some of the other threads about OPGI and "caveat emptor."

Adam,

The carpeting in your car was originally milled by E.T. Barwick Mills. Although this company no longer exists, their automotive carpeting plant and equipment were purchased by Auto Custom Carpets, who now claims to have factory correct replacement materials and colors available.

I didn't get a sample, yet, from ACC, but did get samples from others. The sample I got from Clarks Corvair is also very good.

ACC: your authority for custom automotive carpet, floor mats, and more

Click on the About ACC link to read their story.

Hopefully this helps.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I'd highly recommend Clarks to anyone, bought much of my interior from Clarks. The seat covers & other stuff was high quality & a good fit. So much so, even the guys that installed my seat covers commented on how nice the covers were & how well they fit..

Plus, I've had this stuff for years now, its held up well & still looks GREAT !! No rips, nothing coming apart...

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)