1932 BUICK PAINT CODES

32buickjim

32buickjim,

You might consider posting your Buick questions on the Buick Pre War forum, as it is more frequently read by Pre-War Buick owners. I did not look at the chart adivised from the previous, but in checking Buick Color Bulletin No. 3 (actually I know it from memory as my '32 57S (as were most) was 280 Paint Code (or symbol). Now my car is 301, found on Color Bulletin No. 4, aceptable by BCA as it was the color of a larger closed car, Model 91.

If you want to discuss in more detail, let me know by e-mail to j.scheib@comcast.net.

I take it you may have two '32s being redone. I have no idea why there are two trim numbers, but I think with the black car, the only option was the mousy brown interior. They only other option was grey, and I think this was on lighter color cars.

John

John

That is

Body, Imperial Black; Moulding, Imperial Black; Stripe, Buick Vermillon; Wire Wheels, Black, Demountable Wood Wheels, Black. That is the standard color for Model 57S.

You should be aware that it is permitted to paint this car, if you have one with side mounted spares, it could be painted any other Buick color combination.

You might also reference on the Buick forum, the Judging Handbook if you wasnt to folow a color code

• 3 months later...

What is the correct color for the carburetor on a 1932 57S? I've thought about just clearing the bare metal after a good class beading, but should it perhaps be grey? My engine is already green with black valve cover and various other black pieces. The air cleaner is black. I'm not tremendously worried about being completely factory original, but I would like it to be close. The body color isn't factory original...it's light blue with a dark blue belt and an orange pinstripe and black fenders. The wire wheels are orange. I know, I know, it sounds psychadelic, but it really looks good! It has dual side mounts, and the orange wheels

look great against the light blue body.

I'm aware that the 32 engine is supposed to be black, as is my entire 57S. However, I don't like it all black, and I'm not planning on winning any Buick shows. I like it green. The engine was green when I got it, and I liked it green, so that's the color I painted it. The engine sheet metal is all black, and yes, it's probably too glossy, but I like that, too. And to upset the purists among us just a bit further, nearly all the exterior engine bolts are stainless. It looks really nice, very clean, and people always stop walking by and look at it.

I'm just interested to know what color the carb is supposed to be and/or what everyone else has done with theirs. :)

What is the correct color for the carburetor on a 1932 57S? I've thought about just clearing the bare metal after a good class beading, but should it perhaps be grey? My engine is already green with black valve cover and various other black pieces. The air cleaner is black. I'm not tremendously worried about being completely factory original, but I would like it to be close. The body color isn't factory original...it's light blue with a dark blue belt and an orange pinstripe and black fenders. The wire wheels are orange. I know, I know, it sounds psychadelic, but it really looks good! It has dual side mounts, and the orange wheels

look great against the light blue body.

the actual carb body is gloss black and the intake portion is just the pretty metal color. the updraft throttle body is also just the metal color although you may need to pain it silver heat paint to make it look proper. You do have an up draft carb...right?

Thanks 32buickjim, and everyone else. Yes, Jim, it has the updraft carb. I glass beaded the whole carb...intake portion, float bowl and cover, and the center updraft portion. For it to be the pretty metal color, I just need to spray it with a good gas resistant clear and it should look fine. The color sales brochure shows everything pretty colors, but is somewhat different from what seems to be the accepted practice, i.e. the whole engine being black, etc. So this whole engine color business is a bit confusing. I'm sure the sales brochure is pretty colors so potential buyers can see the details in the engine. If the engine was all black in the brochure you wouldn't be able to distinguish the parts details, and after all, our goal there was to sell the special qualities of the engine.

I appreciate everyone's input and help. I'm off to the paint store tomorrow!

My two 32's Ive painted the engine block,pan,starter,generator black and all the covers green. They are suppose to be black but I liked the green as well. I did the exaust manifolds in heat silver and the whole engine pops. Send me your email and I will send you photos

Wow, that sounds great. It's kind the exact opposite of what I did...green block with black everything else. I did the intake in gloss black like the valve cover, etc, and the exhaust manifold in flat heat black. I'd love to see your photos...

danca@csufresno.edu