Ding dong the witch is dead, the wicked old witch.

Chuck da Machinist has passed on, his resurrected body has been taken over by his given nick name earned from his preference over 3 jaw chucks.<P>This new improved Chuck has greater cleaning power and a fancy new box with 100% less BS than before. We hope you like the new 4 jaw, try him out for 30 days and if you don't like him we'll fully refund your money.<P>This offer is only good for this forum and any implied warranties are subject to the specific laws of your state or province.<P>I may be wrong, if so please disregard my opinion. grin.gif" border="0

4 Jaw, As one who knows the precision gained with a 4 versus 3 jaw chuck, but honestly one who is satisfied with 3 jaw accuracy (close enough for government work) I can accept your renovation. However, please do us all a favor and delete the "just my humble opinion" line. Your input here has been appreciated and if you make a mistake in your input, and find a correction from another DF user, then you and we gain. So whatever handle you prefer, keep on with your contributions and cut the humble crap! grin.gif" border="0

Ok Ok, geez nobody's happy. No more humble, no more smilies. I'm trying my best.<P>1937HD, 4 jaw chucks are of course more precise and universal except for hexagon stock. I got the nickname because most of the shops I worked in had such poor quality equipment that the 3 jaws were hopelessly damaged from too many hamfisted machinists using a extension bar or deadblow on the chuck key (get it chucky, I've heard them all). <P>As a result I became used to using four jaw chucks and always took the 3 jaw off, after you get used to them you can dial them in just as fast as using a three jaw because there are machined lines in the chuck face to help align. Clamping force is higher too since each jaw is independant.<P>Some machinists prefer the 3 jaw and lifting the darn thing onto the lathe bed is a back breaker and some just hate having to dial in a piece even though it takes only seconds once your good at it. So you would often hear in the shop, "who the H_LL took the 3 jaw" and someone would point at me and say 4 Jaw and a "who's on first" kind of banter would ensue. That's how I got the nick. Anyway useless trivia but fun to the guys in the shop when we would get a new guy.<P>And yes I will still use a three jaw if it hasn't been abused. But I still prefer a 4 jaw chuck because I've gotten used to it.

My, are we setting a dangerous precedent here,shifting identities and essaying a little behaviour modification as well?<P>I suppose I must bow to the inevitable and get a new username once the Stellite is sold, Hmmm, perhaps LI Interstate, no......LI dauphine? Nahh, too effeminate,<BR>LI silver shadow,no that reeks of entitlement.<P>See what you started Chuck? shocked.gif" border="0

I don't know Stellite, from my years of cutting metal, Stellite is one of the toughest materials to machine and one of the best for high temperature applications. Makes a great valve seat material too. The high nickel content makes this material great for critical applications and has a reputation for lasting longer than the part it's put into.<P>I say keep it.

Yes!!! you win the cigar!<BR>The Beaver engine is out of the chassis being rebuilt and the body and fenders have just been painted brewster geen and black. The upholstery and top are in such good shape that I've left them alone.<P>The only thing I haven't done yet is to have the fried generator coils rewound, any ideas where I can have this done properly?<P>Lester drove this car nearly everywhere including New England, Pennsylvania several times and other places besides,it is a really well traveled car indeed on account of it's speed, reliability and especially driver comfort but it's time for a rebuild since nothing lasts forever and I intend to drive the hell out of it too! thats why I bought it after all.

Well really, a trailer is meant to haul things too large for a car or truck and a car is meant to be driven despite what some droopydrawers would have you believe.<P>But then I was influenced by oldtimers who drove early cars everywhere, Lester, Austie and so many more, the tales of adventure they had would fill a volume.<BR>Imagine piloting a curved dash olds from Long Island to Pennsylvania! or a 1902 Covert chainless to connecticut and back!<BR>These fellows had guts plus a true love and understanding of how to handle these vehicles in all conditions.

How about a little primer on what this car is Stellite, my old car knowledge is pretty limited. I've never heard of a Beaver engine (other than the radial aircraft version) or LI Touring?

How about a little primer on what this car is Stellite, my old car knowledge is pretty limited. I've never heard of a Beaver engine (other than the radial aircraft version) or LI Touring?

Ahemmm!<BR>At least i'ts a very cold day so the hot air won't be wasted.<BR>The Interstate made in Muncie Indiana from 1909-1919 started life as a fairly large,upper mediumprice bracket assembled car with each succeeding year saw the cars growing larger,longer and more expensive culminating in the 1914 model 45 a 6 cyl on a 132" wheelbase.<BR>Production dropped dramatically from 1,012 in 1912 to only117 in 1914.<BR>needless to say a buyer came along in F.C Ball who made the famous mason jars that still carry his name.<BR>He aimed for the lower-medium price bracket with the all new model "T" in 1915 which cost $1,000 and sat on a 110 inch wheelbase,this is my car.<BR>It was powered by a long stroke ohv "beaver" engines, one of the many proprietary motors available to assemblers like Rutenber, Herschell-spillman,Ferro, Continental and others. The Interstate model"T" was immediately successful with 1,200 cars a year the norm,unfortunately war clouds were looming with the inevitable restrictions on raw materiels and such which spelled the end in late 1918.<BR>The unique thing about my Beaver engine is that the oilpan and valve cover are both cast iron which makes a solid but heavy motor and perhaps account for the durable qualities that enable it to cover probablymore that 150,000 miles in It's lifetime.

Ahemmm!<BR>At least i'ts a very cold day so the hot air won't be wasted.<BR>The Interstate made in Muncie Indiana from 1909-1919 started life as a fairly large,upper mediumprice bracket assembled car with each succeeding year saw the cars growing larger,longer and more expensive culminating in the 1914 model 45 a 6 cyl on a 132" wheelbase.<BR>Production dropped dramatically from 1,012 in 1912 to only117 in 1914.<BR>needless to say a buyer came along in F.C Ball who made the famous mason jars that still carry his name.<BR>He aimed for the lower-medium price bracket with the all new model "T" in 1915 which cost $1,000 and sat on a 110 inch wheelbase,this is my car.<BR>It was powered by a long stroke ohv "beaver" engines, one of the many proprietary motors available to assemblers like Rutenber, Herschell-spillman,Ferro, Continental and others. The Interstate model"T" was immediately successful with 1,200 cars a year the norm,unfortunately war clouds were looming with the inevitable restrictions on raw materiels and such which spelled the end in late 1918.<BR>The unique thing about my Beaver engine is that the oilpan and valve cover are both cast iron which makes a solid but heavy motor and perhaps account for the durable qualities that enable it to cover probablymore that 150,000 miles in It's lifetime.

Can't resist jumping in here with a driver story. I was driving my '34 Chev sedan (with one small taillight) on my first Glidden in 1985. Bill Swigart, Jr., another of the grand men and mentors was driving his '03 Curved Dash Olds. The tour took us from Gatlinburg, TN to Asheville, NC. On the return we had to take about 10 miles of Interstate early on a foggy morning. I pulled on the interstate right behind Bill. It blew my mind that this guy would be braving the task of sharing a stretch of fog shrouded highway at 15 mph with 18 wheelers going 90+ and no taillight at all. I rode his bumper on the apron the whole way - at least one taillight between the two of us was better than none at all. <P>I've thought about that experience many times and thanks to the heriocs of enthusiasts like Bill I do not hesitate to drive my old tin - when it is running. grin.gif" border="0

I have a single tail light on my 1933. But in my glove box I carry a couple of bicycle LED strobe tail lights and some double sided velcro ribbon. I can attach the lights to the rear bumper and set them to be on or flashing.<P>Works for hazzard flasher use and for a right side tail light if needed.<P>When I get to where I am going it only takes a couple of seconds to un-velcro them and put them away. The AAA batteries in them seem to last a long time too.

Thanks for the lesson LI Stellite, that must be one heavy motor. What is the displacement? Sorry if these are dumb questions but my knowledge of old cars ends at about 1950 and even then... <P>I guess I know what I should be asking for my birthday, THE BIG BOOK OF OLD CARS Ha Ha! Interesting that everyone has mentioned single taillights or non existant taillights, around what year was this considered standard equipment and not a "luxury"?

Well, I forgot the formula for determining displacement but it has a 3 5/8 bore with a 5" stroke! I drove it many times when Les still owned it and was always amazed at the low end torque she produced,Les would shock people by leaving it in 3rd gear even at stops! but when taken down the crank journals showed little ovality. this power was no doubt helped by the ohv head with quite large valves for it's era and now that she's dynamically balanced,milled and decked with a C&C plus 10 lbs shaved off the 80lb flywheel it should run quite well indeed.

California Motor Vehicle Code:<blockquote>24600. During darkness every motor vehicle which is not in combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with lighted taillamps mounted on the rear as follows:<BR> (a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more taillamps.<BR> (B) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958, shall be equipped with not less than two taillamps...</blockquote>A passenger side tail light was an option on the 1933 Plymouth. I strongly suspect that all new cars were equipped with two tail lights before the 1958 requirement was imposed.<p>[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: ply33 ]

Thanks Ply33 and Stellite, <BR>5" stroke!! WooHoo that must be one h_ll of a stump puller. But I have always been a sucker for immense bottom end torque I guess that's why I have forsaken gasoline engines for diesel for my family cars even if I still can't stand the smell! <P>My old 1972 454 Vega was a great stump puller too, I often left it in third when I started from a light. Partly because of the Verti-Gate shifter which has caused irreversible tendon damage to the index and middle fingers of my right hand. I really should have replaced that return spring with something lighter, I'm paying for it now. Oh well young, dumb and full of c_m right!

Guest stude8

Man I can't imagine taking an 03 Olds over that stretch (Mountain!) East bound from Gatlinburg to Asheville! That is a rugged climb with a 440 Chrysler eight.<BR>Stude8

Chuck ~ You think that is a big engine. In 1921 Sterling built a 6 cyl engine for marine use with square bore & stroke. 6 inches each way. Cylinders cast in pairs, triple ignition [3 plugs per cylinder] and two humongous carbs., Holly updrafts I believe. When I was a yout, I had considerable experience with one of those engines. A little too large for automotive use though. ~ hvs

Welcome back HVS, good trip? Missed your posts while you were gone. Thanks for the history lesson, I do love learning something new. 6" inch stroke, yikes!

Welcome back Howard. The 1906 Locomobile that won the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup had a 7x7 four cylinder engine. This was the first International race won by an American car. The driver George Robertson was 23 years old, at that time. This car is now at home in the Ford collection in Dearborn.

GREAT TRIP! Took time to indulge another interest, railroads. Made the round trip from Denver to San Francisco by rail in order to experience close up the route through the Rockies and the Sierras in the snow season. Lucked out as there was a 3 foot snowfall in the California mountains the night before our return trip. Then too, 5 days in SF ain't a bad way to kill time between trains. smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Tod ~ Back in the early '80s, just before the D&RGW abandoned the Rio Grande Zephyr between Salt Lake and Denver, I read about its impending demise. As I lived in Baltimore at that time, I flew to Denver, made the round trip to Glenwood Springs in the old vista dome cars, and then flew home.<P>I got credit in the office for being nuts. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

hvs~~ Wish I knew you were in the area. Could have hooked up.<P>Many years ago I took the Denver & Rio Grande from Salt Lake to Denver. It was winter and the trip was wonderful. But I am going to trump you one: The <a href="http://www.ggrm.org/">Golden Gate Railway Museum</a> at Hunter's Point on the south side of San Francisco has a program where you can run a locomotive. For my birthday my wife got me an hour at the controls of <a href="http://www.ggrm.org/restoration/sp2472/sp2472res.html">2472</a>. I am scheduled for it in a couple of weeks. grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0