1937 Pontiac Transmission

Guest inlineNmine

Guest inlineNmine

<table id="post941604" class="tborder2" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt3" id="td_post_941604">I have a 1937 Pontiac series 26 with the original floor shifted 3 speed, which has a broken gear and body. My question is this, what transmissions are interchangeable with this transmission. I have heard that you can use the later Pontiac transmissions up to 1954 and just use the original 5 bolt top cover and shifter from the 37, 38 model, can anyone second this motion? Also does anyone know if the 37 38 Oldsmobile used the same transmission? Thanks for the help.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class=""> user_online.gifreport.gif </td> <td class="alt3" align="right"> progress.gifedit.gif</td></tr></tbody></table>

I have heard that you can use the later Pontiac transmissions up to 1954 and just use the original 5 bolt top cover and shifter from the 37, 38 model, can anyone second this motion?

The closest I have done is largest series 37 buick. On those, you can't just use the top cover, because the later ones are "selector" type shift, and the shift rails inside are very different. You also need the early trans case with it's correct rails. The 2 top covers have the same bolt pattern, but it will not shift.

I would think the later Pontiacs should also be a smaller version of the Selector type?, and if so, you may have the same problem with the rails.

Guest inlineNmine

Are the transmissions that same from 34 to 38? If they are indeed the same and it is a working transmission I would be interested in buying it. Where is the tranny located? I am just wondering what the shipping would be to get it to southern Utah? Thanks for your help.

Guest hilbert77

I just posted a 37. 6 cyl engine and trans , car was running last month befor I pulled it out.

44,000 original miles. Just posted it plus many other parts. Thanks Tom

InlineNmine, My friend is an older gentleman and has had this transmission for many years, he can't remember the exact year but thinks it is between 34 & 38. It is in good working order. He is located in Owings Mills Maryland which is a suburb of Baltimore. He does not want to ship it.