Nice 1990 Coupe, but way overpriced

doity

I saw this on my local craigslist. Since they did not list a price I called the dealership. They quoted me $12,900 but are negotiable on price. I told the salesman that the price was very high and that only a convertible would fetch that kind of money. But then he said call back Monday and talk to so-and-so and maybe they could work a deal. No thanks :(

1990 Buick Reatta REATTA Coupe FWD

Bueaitful car.. Considering the milage, and the options, it could be worth close, but not quite that much.. Maybe 8 to 10K. But The economy isn't being too supportive of that even.

I notice a Retta Division window cling on the back window.. Anyone know who's it was?

It also catches my eye that the front plate holder is silver.. repainted I suppose..

That is nice. For me, maybe a little too monotone-ish with the grey interior.

Marck, maybe a $7500 car in this economy and then finding the "right" buyer?

Perhaps, the issue with their starting price is when you go in and "offer" $6000 it looks so low that they balk. But you never know.

Guest steveskyhawk

The best cars available come from the Pacific Northwest. I like the painted plate frame. That car is a catch.

The dealer's pricing is an attempt to eliminate the the non buyers. If you aren't prepared to buy please don't call the dealer or comment on pricing "fairness". All this tends to do is poison the well for serious buyers.

A car garaged for all of its life could be nice from anywhere but agree, of cars that have been driven (and this one has not been much), the most complete come from Washington/Oregon west of the Cascades (along I-5)

East of the Cascades (e.g. Hanford, Spokane) I have seen a lot of sun damage.

The really should be advertising somewhere else. That would help them get their asking price.

Hemmings would be my fist choice. Maybe the Bugle next. You can't sell a car like that for that price on free advertising (their website, craigslist, etc). If advertised in Hemmings for a few months, they'd probably get their asking price.

The best cars available come from the Pacific Northwest. I like the painted plate frame. That car is a catch.

The dealer's pricing is an attempt to eliminate the the non buyers. If you aren't prepared to buy please don't call the dealer or comment on pricing "fairness". All this tends to do is poison the well for serious buyers.

OK then Steve, I will refrain from calling in the future so that I will not "poison the well" as you say. The car is all yours.......at the asking price of $13k. Be my guest.

In all seriousness, I did not jump out of the gate with a criticism of the price. I called in good faith thinking that maybe I could pull off a good deal. When I found out the asking price I just made a honest comment that the price did not reflect true market conditions. I would say that the price they quoted was likely twice the true market value, whether or not true Reatta devotees like to hear the truth or not.

Guest steveskyhawk

Anybody that fails to travel to where the car is and personally inspect the car should refrain from making comment on its value. The ONLY way to determine the actual price that the dealer/owner will accept is to go there in person and make a legitimate offer backed by cash.

I agree with Steve that the only way to determine condition is to either examine the car yourself or have a professional exmine it. Particularly when dealing with a dealer, "are his lips moving..." is a caveat.

Will also say that to sell a very nice car for top dollar will rarely happen on a forum like this. Sorry, but we just know too much about them.

BJ, Mecum, and others have how to generate max profit down to a science and it really has little to do with the cars and more to the hype. ANY auction is like that. When I see a '50s 'vette roll by with a HEI that is "100% Real Deal" (and what does that mean ?) I know. And figure I only spot maybe 5% of what is wrong so miss 95% of it.

One of the reasons I stopped judging was that no one else was judging to the same level I was. For a platinum class it took me over an hour of crawling around and checking everything. Others took 15 minutes.

Particularly when people OOHed and AHHed over an "original" R-59 Delco battery with red caps and the eye in the right place when I knew that no car left the factory with an R-59.

Maybe that makes me a fanatic. OTOH all of my cars are "drivers" and I view them as such. Most have Optima batteries because they work. In fact of the herd floating around here, of the daily drivers, only the TranSport has stock wheels and that is because of fenderwell clearance issues.

But the bottom line is that for a really nice low milage car, the best market is to someone who has never had one and can afford not to work on them hence Hemmings or DuPont. Wouldn't really know myself, have never really had a "show" car.

Personally I like Craig's List since am essentially a bottom feeder, cheap, and CL is local.

So would be surprised to sell a car here (though the Black 'vert is still available - is a space issue), people generally already have one.

The silver coupe was shown next to my vert at the Portland area All Buick Show in August. It really is a beautiful car.

If I recall correctly, the current owner is the sales manager for a local Buick dealership. He acquired the car when it was traded in by the original owners.

Obviously it is a well cared-for vehicle. That was never in question. But as we all know Reatta coupes go for around 3k on craigslist. I know, I got mine there and it also had very low mileage. But the owners, who were selling it for their father who had picked it up at a estate sale, could not have run further away from that car if they tried.

I think the people who mentioned Hemmings were right. A car like that in such collectible condition needs be offered in a different venue to fetch top dollar.