Sign in to follow this  
1BATA

2 of 2 ever made pontiac trans am?

Hello, i've been trying to figure out how much my car is worth.. i checked my vinn # on a website called compnine.com and it said there is only 2 of my car made..if that is true, my car must be very valuable. Have no idea how to find out it's worth..It's a 1998 Trans Am, 5.7L V8, LS1, 94k miles, headers, magnaflow exhaust..can some help me?:confused:

This "rarity must mean big bucks" is a myth hyped up by cable TV auctions and such, it is not necessarily true. You often see ONE OF A KIND production cars by virtue of the fact that a car is statistically the ONLY ONE MADE in purple with a stick shift and no radio with optional body side moldings or other such improbable equipment combinations.

On cars in the 1970s and later such claims mean little, it was said in the 1970s GM had so many colors and individual options that it was statistically possible for them to build an entire year of cars with no two exactly alike. At 94,000 miles with aftermarket equipment your car is not a valuable collectors item, but is certainly a great performer and one to be driven and enjoyed on it's merits as one of the great performance values ever. Enjoy, Todd C

This "rarity must mean big bucks" is a myth hyped up by cable TV auctions and such, it is not necessarily true. You often see ONE OF A KIND production cars by virtue of the fact that a car is statistically the ONLY ONE MADE in purple with a stick shift and no radio with optional body side moldings or other such improbable equipment combinations.

On cars in the 1970s and later such claims mean little, it was said in the 1970s GM had so many colors and individual options that it was statistically possible for them to build an entire year of cars with no two exactly alike. At 94,000 miles with aftermarket equipment your car is not a valuable collectors item, but is certainly a great performer and one to be driven and enjoyed on it's merits as one of the great performance values ever. Enjoy, Todd C

That may be the case with Pontiacs, but I can tell you that it is a TOTALLY different story when it comes to MoPars. The rarer options or lack of certain options add lots to the appraisal value.

Hello keiser, does this mean you would encourage the writer, a novice wanting to hear he has won the automotive lottery, that his modified 1998 Trans Am with 94,000 miles is a valuable collectors item? I would not think so.

You and I of course know that, say, a 1970 Challenger R/T with a factory moonroof is rarer and more valuable than without. But we also know that a 1970 Polara sedan is now rare yet worth little--- rarity does not necessarily mean big money. Indeed Pontiac people also love and pay for rare and desirable options---but on 1969 GTOs, not 1998 Trans Ams. Todd C

Hello keiser, does this mean you would encourage the writer, a novice wanting to hear he has won the automotive lottery, that his modified 1998 Trans Am with 94,000 miles is a valuable collectors item? I would not think so.

You and I of course know that, say, a 1970 Challenger R/T with a factory moonroof is rarer and more valuable than without. But we also know that a 1970 Polara sedan is now rare yet worth little--- rarity does not necessarily mean big money. Indeed Pontiac people also love and pay for rare and desirable options---but on 1969 GTOs, not 1998 Trans Ams. Todd C

Agreed. Simply because it had some options that a few other cars had, does not make it worth more. Especially if the parts were aftermarket or modified. The car must be a desirable car to begin with.....preferably with only factory options.

The usual reason why certain cars are rare - that is, produced in small numbers - is that few wanted them when they were new.

Out of curiosity I went to the website quoted - as I knew nothing about it - and there is a note to the effect that the site has closed. I wonder why.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

I heard about the site closing in another thread. Sad I never had heard of it before. It sounded like a great site.

So how can I find out the true value of my car? Dont tell me KBB. My Vinn # is... 2G2FV22G6W2206081

You might try the forum at www.transamcountry.com , which is specific to Firebirds and Trans Ams. They may be able to confirm what features denoted your car as one of two and if that feature adds value or not. Good luck, Todd C

You might try the forum at www.transamcountry.com , which is specific to Firebirds and Trans Ams. They may be able to confirm what features denoted your car as one of two and if that feature adds value or not. Good luck, Todd C

Thanks alot Todd.

your production # is 06081 Ive never seen or herd of a 2 of 2 trans am made.

the brake down of your vin is

you have a Canada , GM , Pontiac , F-Body , Formula , 2 door hatchback , manual belts driver/pass side air bags , 5.7 LS1, 1998 , built in St.Therese

the only bird to get headers (I know of) was the Firehawk on a 3rd gen in the 80's. it also had roll bars and a modded intake system.