27 Buick cpe only runs on 3

Guest Bobmn

Hello to all; Well, the Buick and 5610 Ford tractor made the trip from Ca to Mn. The diesel tractor runs grt! The car has sat for a lot of yrs. As I am looking it over, I see it has a tractor CARB on it!!A TSXU 839. WOW. Well, I've redid a LOT of these over the yrs, so I redid this one. Also, changed oil,filter. I used my one gallon gas can, filter, and shut off, to try and start the engine. But first,I put a little oil in cly, and let that soak overnite. Then I ck'd the points.....Wow, blue spark! Same with the plugs. Now today I tried to start it.....and it did start...and run on 2/3. the ones that were firing were hot, and the rest were cool to the touch. All the plugs are firing...but, could there be stuck rings, in these other clys.? You have to keep the gas floored and it keeps running...on 2/3. Any ideas? Thanks Bobmn...I'll try to post a pic of the carb.

post-69022-143138696215_thumb.jpg

Do a compression test on all the cylinders if you suspecti stuck rings. Make sure all the plugs are firing. If you have good compression everywhere and reliable ignition, check to see if the two cylinders not firing are fed by the same portion of the intake manifold. If so, you could have a blockage on the intake.

Pacerman; Thank you for the reply! I just came in from the shop and I did a compression test.......with my thumb!! 2/3/6..none. So I removed the valve cover and 2/3/6 valves are stuck open!! Now I'm soaking them with MMO,WD, and some oil. I will give them a sharp, but lite rap with a deadblow, after they soak for a while. Unless, some one has a better idea or mix that works better. If all else fails.......off with the head!! Thanks Bobmn

Hello to all! Thanks Mark.........3/4 hrs of soaking, and tapping, and we now have a SIX cyl. 27 Buick!! I guess they were" lightly" stuck. I added more anti-freeze,and with the left hood open, and the one gallon gas can tied up, we went for a test drive! Well, around and around the shop 5/6 times. Then, back on the hoist. As I shut down, we heard a loud noise.....it was coming from the fan hub. It was mt, of course. I filled it, and the sound was gone. And the the gennie is charging the battery!! Oil pressure is 45/50 cold and 35/40 hot. Well, by the stock gauage anyway. And the brakes WORK!! speedo also works. Now,it has a 6v fuel pump back by the tank, got to ck that. and the lines. I did drill out the locking gas cap, and I see red rust and some "stuff" on the bottom of the tank So that's next..Again Thanks to all for the help. Bobmn