Shift lever question on 56 olds

Guest 564drhdtp

Guest 564drhdtp

I have a 56 with jetaway trans that shifts from lo to reverse with no lockout feature. Is this normal or is there a problem with my linkage?

I would think you would have to lift up on the lever the same way you place the tranny in park, but that is not the case with my reverse.

Does anyone know how the thing is supposed to work?

Thanks,

Dick

I think these transmissions have a reverse blocker piston that protrudes from the trans if car speed is over about 10 mph. It will physically prevent moving the shift lever to reverse when car is moving forward. My 64s work like your 56- pull toward you to get out of park, then the shifter will move freely from N thru R without lifting the lever.

Guest 564drhdtp

Brian,

I figured if If I miss "Lo" and hit "R" it would most certainly stand for "Ruination". I am still somewhat afraid to test the reverse blocker piston that Glenn refers to, especially since I don't see one on my tranny.

Dick

Guest Olds88_1956

Dick

On a side note, I had replaced the 904 Automatic tranny in my 1968 Plymouth Barracuda with a "junkyard special" tranny ONLY to find out it had some shifting issues:mad:.

The "car transmission" shop instructor at Chippewa Valley Tech; suggested I run the car up about 30 MPH and push the shifter into REVERSE and hold it there for 5 seconds.:eek: He explained that the parts shuttle back and forth at at high rate of speed..... as long as the vehicle maintains +20 MPH... Flushing out any foreign mat'l.

Seeing, as the standard protocole of fluid and filter change had done NOTHING.

Being of sound mind and good judgement, I found a dark secluded side street and tried it... Well, IT WORKED AND THE TRANSMISSION AND OUTLASTED the car and it lasted another 3 years!

The end.

Guest rsd9699

I do not think the Olds is designed for that abuse but for the earlier hydros used in Hudson's - I remember the old timers saying that the dealer mechanics would drive to 55 mph - shut off the engine - then shift into reverse - it was then broken in and ready for the customer.

As I said it was a story relayed to me - I have only been in 1 Hudson in my life and the driver never did such a thing.

Ron