1985 Riviera roadster

Guest Rigaman

Guest Rigaman

I am about to buy a 1985 Riviera Roadster. It has a blue cloth top, and I was wondering if it was possible to take the top off so it is just painted metal.

I am new to the forum, and I am real glad I have become a member here. I hope to learn alot more about my Riviera in the future. I will post pictures when I get it. It is a gem. One owner car, that looks like it came off the show room floor. The owner never drove it in the winter, and really kept it up very well.

I know. It is probably a dumb idea to take the top off, or even think about it. Especially since it is in perfect shape. I just want to know if it is possible, and if anyone has done it. I know someone has had their top get weathered and torn up from age, and decided not to replace it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Oh, also. What is the difference between the roadster and regular Rivieras? Is it just the full cloth top?

Buick built a few real 6th generation Riviera convertibles - they were converted from coupes to convertibles by ASC in the Detroit area. During that same era, 1979 - 1985 they built the coupe with a landau vinyl top option. There were no "Roadsters" built by the factory. I've seen a couple of other 79 - 85 Rivieras with these aftermarket carriage tops - as shown in your picture. It is a fiberglass shell covered in a convertible cloth. I don't know how it's fastened to the body - it could be glued or it could be rivited. Take the car to an established upholstery shop or body shop in your area and ask them what they think about removing the top. I think it looks good the way it is.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Rigaman

Thanks for your help! I absolutely love this car.

I think the dealer actually put the roadster emblem on it. Because the guy said everything was original, and it was how he bought it. Unless he is blowing smoke.

I am going to see if he has any documents from the dealer. I am curious to find out more about it.

Dan,

The top is a dealer add on as Ed mentioned. They are glued on and can be taken off with some care ( plan on painting the roof however) I have a friend who had a Toronado with the Roadster top that blew off the car going down the freeway ( nobody following-thank god ) She went back and picked it up, strapped it to the car and drove home. She had it glued back on to the car.