Antilock Brake Light

Guest Dan Cook

Guest Dan Cook

I have a 1990 Reatta and the antilock brake light is on and won't flash codes. I know I should be concerned but what should I look for. The brake pedal is up and the car seems to stop just fine. Don't worry, I'm not driving it!!!

I have a 1990 Reatta and the antilock brake light is on and won't flash codes. I know I should be concerned but what should I look for. The brake pedal is up and the car seems to stop just fine. Don't worry, I'm not driving it!!!

Dan, from what I have read on this forum, you should be OK driving with the ABS light on, as long as the red light is out. The brakes will work, just no ABS function. Try using the "Search" to see other posts on ABS problems..... Jim

If the ABS light is on all the time and the light won't flash when ALDL is jumpered, the EBCM may not be getting power. You should feel a "Thump" in the brake pedal within 3-5 seconds after you turn the key on as the brake system goes through a self test. If you don't feel the thump check the fuse that powers the EBCM.

Or if it won't flash your EBCM may be in place just not "seated" right. You must "hook" the front end in correctly then snap it in place. I took mine off once to check the ABS sensor leads and didn't hook the EBCM back up correctly. Still had the ABS light on after fixing the leads. It was only after trying to pull codes thru the ALDl [no flashing light] that I realized my error.

For me that is usually a bad firewall relay. on a 90 the one next to it is identical and powers the brake pump. Other than that there is a 5A and a 30A fuse in the system. See the FSM for the circuit diagram.

Guest Dan Cook

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll take a look at it this week and see what happens. This car has been a real money pit and I have so much invested in it now I can't afford to get rid of it so I'll have to drive it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rojelio77

All - As it turns out my '90 coupe has the same issue, that being a constantly illuminated ABS light and no flashing of codes when I do the jump technique. After reviewing this post, I checked the main ABS relay fuse and it is okay. I am unable to locate the brake pump relay fuse or the anti-lock brake controller fuse using the provided diagrams. Are the fuses wrapped-up inside the wire bundle that come off of the two relays? I wouldn't expect to have to tear apart a wire loom to get to a fuse. Or maybe somehow attached to the firewall or down low where it's not visible or very accessible? Thanks for the thoughts. -Rog

Constant ABS light/no codes/thump usually means the EBCM in the trunk is not getting power. The most common cause is a faulty relay. Since both relays on the firewall are the same, swapping should tell. If that does not work then tracing the power is necessary. See section 5E in the service manual (avaiable online).

Dan, the light comes on usually after I've driven a little bit. I checked all the fuses in the car inside on both sides of the console. Could this be one of the half dozen relays on the pass. side of the console?
Your problem is likely to be a wheel sensor since it does not come on immediately. Have you checked the ABS codes? I don't know if the following applies to a '91 model. It might be of some help. Use with caution.

How To Check ABS Codes*-*ReattaOwner.com

Thanks, Ronnie. The terminals that are jumped on a 1991 are H and A. I'll give it a try and study up on how to fix a wheel sensor.
If you will post the ABS codes you find maybe someone here will be able to help with diagnosing the problem.

Fixing the wheel sensor is easy, determining for sure which one is bad is what is hard.

Once you have checked the codes and know for certain H and A are correct, I want to change the text in the instructions on my website to include the '91 model.

My experience is that it is usually front wheel sensors that fail, typically where the cable flexes on turning. Once you know where to look the fault is usually easily seen. I have found the code readings somewhat anomalous other than to indicate there is a problem.