1980 Buick Skylark WITH PICTURES

Guest MNBuick

Guest MNBuick

I have a 1980 Buick Skylark, 8,460 original miles, original parts and tires, 4 cylinder, am radio, (no a/c), 2 door, cloth interior. Excellent condition. It has been stored for the last 15 years in a windowless garage. I am wondering what it might be worth when I sell it. Thank you! Your replies are appreciated.

post-79646-143138694921_thumb.jpg

post-79646-14313869494_thumb.jpg

post-79646-14313869496_thumb.jpg

post-79646-143138694979_thumb.jpg

I have a 1980 Buick Skylark, 8,460 original miles, original parts and tires, 4 cylinder, am radio, (no a/c), 2 door, cloth interior. Excellent condition. It has been stored for the last 15 years in a windowless garage. I am wondering what it might be worth when I sell it. Thank you! Your replies are appreciated.

I don't recall seeing one of these in a 2-dr. Nice, I knew someone in the '70's who had bought a new Dodge van in the '60's in south Florida and it didn't come with a heater.

OK, so this car is not a big ticket item, and will not be worth a fortune. And it is not anything highly collectible or desireable. But still, it is a less common 2 door version that looks to be in pretty good shape with only 8,400 miles on it at 32 years old. Seems a shame that the only thing anybody wants to do with it is drive into the ground as a daily driver instead of preserving it as a very low mileage original. So much for HPOF.

Guest my3buicks

Would be an ideal ride to get a young Buick enthusiast into the car show circuit. I had an 82 Pontiac Phoenix LJ coupe which was basically the same car, and loved it. There hvae been a few of these starting show up at Buick events.

Guest BMW-BOB
How much do you want for the Nissan outright?

The Nissan 300ZX has 100,500 miles. I'm the original owner, stored in winter and has been completely stored for the last 5 years. It has new tires. Everything else is original. I took it for a long ride recently. Everything works except the gas gage. When the gas gets to half a tank, the gage drops to empty. It has all options except digital dash. The last '87 300ZX Turbo I saw go on ebay went for $8,200. It had 5000 more miles than mine and was red with a digital dash. I am asking $6,000 for mine.

OK, so this car is not a big ticket item, and will not be worth a fortune. And it is not anything highly collectible or desireable. But still, it is a less common 2 door version that looks to be in pretty good shape with only 8,400 miles on it at 32 years old. Seems a shame that the only thing anybody wants to do with it is drive into the ground as a daily driver instead of preserving it as a very low mileage original. So much for HPOF.

I wouldn't buy it to drive it into the ground, but it would make a nice antique summer daily driver.

I wouldn't buy it to drive it into the ground, but it would make a nice antique summer daily driver.

Yes, but right now its most interesting feature is its extremely low mileage. Once you start driving it, especially on a regular basis, that goes away.

You've got a big job ahead of you putting that car into regular service. If even the tires are original, I bet the fluids, the hoses, the belts, and all the other regular maintenance items are as well. Gaskets, seals, etc., are going to be dry but maybe they'll come back with some driving. It'll be a leaker, at least at first.

Cheap and clean, yes, but making it a quick and easy daily driver? Probably not. Not driving your car is one of the worst things you can do to them.

Nice HPOF contender, though.

Yes, but right now its most interesting feature is its extremely low mileage. Once you start driving it, especially on a regular basis, that goes away.

True, but it's never going to be worth any more (or much more) than it is now, so whether it has 8K miles or 30K miles isn't going to matter much in the long run.

True, but it's never going to be worth any more (or much more) than it is now, so whether it has 8K miles or 30K miles isn't going to matter much in the long run.

Agreed, depreciation is not going to be a big issue as the miles might accumulate. Obviously, it's not going to be at 75K in one year! Still, the more it gets driven the more it's likely to get driven as "the new" wears off of it. Novelty has its reasonable limits.

I believe I mirrored Matt's comments in comments I made in the prior thread (sans pictures). Dry rot knows no boundaries!

Regards,

NTX5467

Couldn't have said it better!

D.

That's what they said about model T's too.

D.

Lots of speculation on a car with no price.

I have seen similar cars over the years. They usually end up weathered and junked. I have seen owners ask excessive prices for non-collector cars. The inherited ones are quite common. After 6 months to a year of dealing with stupid buyers who do not know the value of their car the uninformed seller gets angry. It seems every person who looks at the car is an idiot. There are not willing to overlook the flaws the seller overlooked when he set the price.

The seller begins making statements like "I'll drive it as an everyday car myself." "They are trying to steal this car."

Then the sale effort stops. And the car that was stored inside by the previous owner gets parked next to the garage, not in it. A tire or two goes flat. Rain etches lines down from the roof and across the bumpers. Flaky rust forms all through the engine compartment. And five years goes by soooo fast!

The crooks and swindlers are blamed. The car either becomes a neighborhood icon or gets junked. Sometimes a financially destitute niece or nephew gets these cars. Then the life expectancy drops to about 6 months. "How could that almost "new" car need THAT much work?"

You know, its a shame someone bought that car new and didn't need it. Nice car for $1500.

Bernie

Re: 1980 Buick Skylark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebowski

NADA says high book is $2650 with the 4 cylinder engine and no A/C. Did it go 15 years without being started? If so some of the gaskets may have dried up which could cause some leaks. Does it really have 8460 miles or did you forget a digit? Where is it located-Minnesota? Nice car....

__________________________________________________ ________________

I had a look at this NADA site and I can tell you the high end prices it gives for the cars I have and some of the cars I would like to have doesn't reflect reality prices at all. I have been looking for some time at three types of cars and in all three cases if I low balled one of those sellers with the highest numbers this site gives the owners would just laugh, or just point me to the door.

This little Limited deserves more than that and is the perfect car for someone to get into this hobby and have with little effort put forth to show and tour with.

Save a piece of history and get it into the right owner's hands.

D.

Old Cars Price Guide from 8/10 says $7000 max for a #1 condition car, which by their definition is either better than new, or you hermetically sealed it right off the assembly line. #2 condition drops off to around $5000. And you probably should deduct 5-10% for the 4-cylinder engine. Then because the market is down and the car isn't exactly say a 455 Gran Sport or something, you can knock off anywhere from 10% to 50% more.

I had one as a winter beater a few years ago that was given to me for free. An '84, 2-door, 2.8 V6, it needed some brake lines and an exhaust. Had a flat spot in the computer controlled carb I never did fix. I got a year and a half out of it before I happened on something better that was cheap, and parked it. Great winter car, I got a flat on a snowy Sunday night on the back from running over a bracket that someone had tacked on it and fell off, one of the lugnuts rounded off when I went to change the tire, I couldn't get any help and didn't want to call a tow truck given the bill would be more than the car was worth, so I drove it home on the flat about 10 miles - as long as it had real snows on it it would go anywhere you pointed it. It didn't have any trouble getting around even with the flat. And they're very comfortable inside, the interior is really roomy. I actually would almost buy another, if I ran across the Pontiac Phoenix SJ with a V6 and manual trans I'd drive the snot out if it. I'd want to either convert it to a later EFI or debrain it entirely, though. That's probably one plus for yours, I believe as a 1980 it does not have the computer controlled carb on it.