What's the Deal with Twolite Headlights?

Guest Infinity Auto Lighting

Guest Infinity Auto Lighting

I'm hoping someone can educate me about "Twolite" branded headlights and headlight lenses. What I know is that most all OEM Ford headlights and headlight lenses, from Model A through 1939, are marked with both the word "Twolite" and the Ford oval logo. I also know that there is ZERO reference to "Twolite" or "Ford" in any of the three different Guide Headlight master catalogs I own (though all three cover Lincoln). And finally -- I posses a selection of headlights and headlight lenses that are clearly marked "Twolite" but have no Ford logo, and are apparently not for Ford cars or trucks. What's the deal with Twolite? And does anyone know of a reference to match non-Ford Twolite items to their proper application? Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

Ford's service bulletin for January 1929 explains the new two-lite application. Two types--a two bulb type A-13005-C for cars without cowl lamps and a single bulb type A-13005-D for cars with cowl lamps. The new lamps were supplied with 6-8 volt double filament, double contact bulbs. Both filaments were 21 candle power. The lower filament provided illumination far in front of the car and the upper filament pointed downward to illuminate the area closer to the car. The A13005-C two bulb headlamp has a separate 2 candle power bulb mounted in the upper part of the reflector for parking purposes. Later they introduced a 32-21 candle power bulb for greater lighting intensity. Autos after the Model A era used the higher intensity bulbs for quite a while. Hope this helps

There were a number of OEM lighting suppliers to the auto industry. Twolite was one, Twilight and Depress Beam were others. I know that 1929 Plymouths used Twolite lenses.

I know that the Twilight lenses used on my 1933 Plymouth are nearly identical with the Twilight lenses used on the same vintage Chevrolet. The difference being that the Chevrolet lenses also have "Guide" on them.

I think, but do know know, that GM and Ford may well have specified their logo (Ford) or branding (Guide) on parts supplied by various OEMs. But similar parts by those OEMs sold to other manufacturers or for after market sales may only have had the OEM's ID on them.

Somewhere in my archives I have an issue or two of Skinned Knuckles that lists the various OEM lens manufacturers and what lenses were used on what cars. I'll have to find that when I have time.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)