Cushman scooters

real61ss

I find this extrememly interesting...

I'm pretty shocked that with 29 years of Cushman scooter production that not one was spotted on the show field. Heck, the Cushman Eagle alone was made for 15 or 16 years. There are TONS of them out there.

As a sidebar...

Where there any machines entered into Class 5F this year at Hershey? The results/awards list does not show anything for 5F, but that does not specifically mean that none were entered in the class.

I can tell you from experience, that Hershey is hands-down, the hardest place to show a small motorcycle due to the ever-present parking/unloading problem for those of us who come alone. The PA American Water Co. parking lot "unloading area" is of no use to me because I'm not permitted to unload without having another person to drive away the truck immediately as per AACA rules. Previously, we were allowed to park on the blacktop next to the roller coasters along with the very old cars and trucks. This year they expanded the handicapped parking to include this area, which was now not open to me either. I then tried to park my trailer in this years "pumpkin patch" parking area for all other trailers, but it was too far away from the show field. I could not push a mini cycle 2-plus miles along the busy Rt39, nor could I ride an unlicensed vehicle on this road. My only alternative was to park my trailer at my motel for the 5 days, then load my cycle onto my pickup the morning of the show and pay $35.00 to park on the blacktop at Chocolate World and push my little vehicle to the show.

There were NO Cushmans entered, and there was only 1 Whizzer. Class 5F had 1 entrant, and he did not show. I recently looked at a 1994 Hershey Show list and guess what I counted? A total of 20 Whizzers and 17 Cushmans alone. The 1994 total count for motorcycles was a whopping 74 entrants!

This year we had 24 entrants. At least 4 did not show up, so we had 20 bikes on the show field, if that. I would have appreciated a parking spot for my pickup (for the day of the show) in the same area the race vehicle trailers were allowed to park. One pickup truck doesn't take up very much space when compared to a large rig with trailer.

Edited by Dick380185 (see edit history)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I can tell you from experience, that Hershey is hands-down, the hardest place to show a small motorcycle due to the ever-present parking/unloading problem for those of us who come alone. The PA American Water Co. parking lot "unloading area" is of no use to me because I'm not permitted to unload without having another person to drive away the truck immediately as per AACA rules. Previously, we were allowed to park on the blacktop next to the roller coasters along with the very old cars and trucks. This year they expanded the handicapped parking to include this area, which was now not open to me either. I then tried to park my trailer in this years "pumpkin patch" parking area for all other trailers, but it was too far away from the show field. I could not push a mini cycle 2-plus miles along the busy Rt39, nor could I ride an unlicensed vehicle on this road. My only alternative was to park my trailer at my motel for the 5 days, then load my cycle onto my pickup the morning of the show and pay $35.00 to park on the blacktop at Chocolate World and push my little vehicle to the show.

There were NO Cushmans entered, and there was only 1 Whizzer. Class 5F had 1 entrant, and he did not show. I recently looked at a 1994 Hershey Show list and guess what I counted? A total of 20 Whizzers and 17 Cushmans alone. The 1994 total count for motorcycles was a whopping 74 entrants!

This year we had 24 entrants. At least 4 did not show up, so we had 20 bikes on the show field, if that. I would have appreciated a parking spot for my pickup (for the day of the show) in the same area the race vehicle trailers were allowed to park. One pickup truck doesn't take up very much space when compared to a large rig with trailer.

UPDATE: I was told my reasoning "is flawed" concerning why so few motorcycles, scooters, (Whizzers, Cushmans,etc) attend the Hershey show. There is simply NO WAY motorcycle haulers are permitted to park where the race car haulers park, and there is nothing that can be done about it, according to a Hershey Region spokesman. So good luck to those few members who still show 2-wheeled vehicles. I know I'm tired of trying to reason with those in charge. It's just an ongoing problem falling on deaf ears. If you're not showing a car or truck, you're not important.

Guest Siegfried

Put some 'PRESSURE' on H.R. to make changes. Thats the only way it will happen. I know, I'm a former H.R. member.

Write letters. Explain the problem. Make phone calls. But, above all BE NICE. Who knows? Someone may step up, and make the changes for the scooters.

I have a HPOF '65 VESPA, and it probably will never appear at Fall Meet because of the parking issue.

Put some 'PRESSURE' on H.R. to make changes. Thats the only way it will happen. I know, I'm a former H.R. member.

Write letters. Explain the problem. Make phone calls. But, above all BE NICE. Who knows? Someone may step up, and make the changes for the scooters.

I have a HPOF '65 VESPA, and it probably will never appear at Fall Meet because of the parking issue.

>>>ATTN: HERSHEY REGION<<<

Here's another fella, who apparently has the same "flawed reasoning" as me. A former Hershey Region member, nonetheless.

I don't intend to make phone calls, as I think the Hershey Region should have enough members with motorcycles to know the problem is REAL and needs addressed.

• 1 year later...