Will these tires work please

Roadster90

Yokohama or some brand name like that with the model number or name on the side of the tire being "AVIP 533" size 225 x 55 x 16....I am low on $ presently and need tires for the State Inspection on the Select Sixty - will these be OK - look like 50% tread depth and tires mount and balance for 140.00

Nic

That is just the model of the tire lingo Ronnie - nothing important really - the size and if they will fit and work on the Select Sixty is what I am hoping for - does anyone know.....the only difference is the middle number from the 225 60 16 tires that will work so I would hope there would not be any difficulties (The 55 is 5 smaller and should work if my thinking is correct ). The tire dealer also has a set of 225 65 16 tires as well which is only a 5 bigger - would they work as well please?

Thanks,

Nicv

Nic the 225 x 55x16 tires were on my Mustang wheels when I got them. The tires are worn out. When I buy new tires (after I polish the wheels) I will be looking to buy 60 or 65 series tires. In my opinion the 55s have a sidewall that looks too short on a Reatta. The attached photo will show what I mean. The 65s would fill the wheelwells better and look the best in my opinion if they don't rub when the wheels are turned. I don't think rubbing with 65s will be a problem with the Mustang wheels but that might not be true for the stock Select 60 wheels. I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe it will help you make your decision.

post-52331-143138693826_thumb.jpg

Padgett brings up a good thought but it shouldn't really apply to Nic as I don't think he makes too many long trips. On short trips the tires will not heat up enough to come apart even if they are old.

Several years ago I bought a Reatta convertible in Orlando and drove it to Naples. The next day I drove across alligator alley to Miami and on the way back the tread blew off the tire at 70 MPH and took the front fender right off the car. Old tires with like new tread. Fortunately I knew a fellow in Vero Beach who had a black parts car so the next day I drove up to his home and took off the remaining parts of my fender and bolted on one from him.

The 225-55-16 tires will work on Nic's car.

I once bought a parts car from a salvage auction the the owner had taken off the original tires and wheels and let the salvage company pick up the car with 255 tires on steel rims. The car with those tires wouldn't even roll as the tires were hitting the bottom of the struts.

Per "Powerdog.com, the factory original 215/60r16 was 26.2 in in diameter and had 771 revolutions per mile. That is your baseline.

225/55r16 is 25.7 in diameter (exactly 1/2 inch smaller) and will have 783 revolution per mile.

The end result, it changes your speedometer roughly 1.5% which is just under 1 mph at 60

Basically it is hardly noticeable. If you can get a good deal, get them.

Guest Mc_Reatta

91 / S60 OEM size 215/60-16

Optional sizes:

speedometer error (actual mph at 60 mph indicated)

225/60 - 16 61 mph

225/55 -16 59 mph

225/65 -16 -63 mph

All should work fine as they are only a few tenths of an inch wider or taller than stock.

Have never had a bit of trouble with 225x60x16s just am considering BFGs instead of Michelins this time around. They are on sale at the moment.

Have a set of 225x55x17s that fit fine also, I just do not like the wheels. However shipping would kill you.

Back at the ranch, I think Nic has found a set of 225x55x16 and I just suggested he check the age.

I went by to get the 225 55 16 set this morning and the shop had sold them....I did not tell them to hold them so it is my fault. At least I know the size will fit thanks to you folks, and will continue to look. There are 3 used tire stores within a 1/2 mile radius of each other so I will find a set.

Thanks again folks....

Nic

Guest crazytrain2

Nic for just a few bucks more you can get yourself a brand new set of Cooper Lifeliner GLS series tires (for reasons unbeknowst to me they offer same tire with/50K mile warranty and WO/55K Mi warranty for same price!

If you check aroung like I did you can find them for $70/Ea which in my case included removal, mounting, balancing and old disposal fee.

Now include the fact that Cooper has a $70 rebate if you purchase 4 and you can't beat that with a stick IMO. oh but these were P205/70/15's. Just thought it might be worth looking into 4 ya.

Darn Crazytrain2 ! ! Darn Near Amazing ....... I would jump on a $210 deal for a set - that is awesome....especially with the mounting, balancing, etc. (if I can find in my area) . I am in Richmond, Virginia - where did you find in your AOR, and / or where would you suggest that I look please?

Thanks,

Nic

Seems like Merchants tire is the major Cooper dealer in my area and the cheapest deal for 4 is 560.00 for a set of tires with all the trimmings (includes a lifetime alignment which is necessary to obtain their "special tire pricing").

New set of 225x60x16 BFG Touring T/As look like right on $400 at Sam's. Installation, balancing, and road hazard is free this month. Lately I've been geting most of my tires at Sam's partly because they are everywhere.

Heck, it would be worth it to join Sam's just to buy the tires there with the mounting, balancing, and road hazzard deal.... Is Sam's like Costco where you can always get rebalancing free, and the gas (can't remember the type of gas..... but it replaces air in the tires) free?

Thanks,

Nic

Have had tires rebalanced before for free but for me it is a combo deal. Is one 5 mi north, one 5 mi south, gas is usually 10c/gal cheaper, milk 50c/gal cheaper, OJ I like is $1/gal cheaper, and is just generally a good deal.

Only downside is they no longer carry Optima batteries but Duracell AGM is less expensive. Frankly think both Optima and Michelin price increases have been a bit excessive.

Guest crazytrain2

Nic,

I admit I was shocked myself was expecting something at least in the neighborhood of $85 + $15/Each for dismount, remount, balance and landfill charge.

Sears wanted around $100/Ea + all that and wouldn't budge. So I was all over this deal.

Below are a couple links to buy online but shipping gets you to around $72/Each (at least to my location) PLUS the second one did not have the most stellar reviews , but is now under new ownership.

Tire price here is $59.12/Ea + shipping but that doesnt take the rebate into consideration yet either:

Onlinetires.com - Tires Search Results: 205/65-15

Onlinetires.com - TIRES Search Results

COOPER LIFELINER GLS : 205/65R15 94T

COOPER LIFELINER GLS : 205/65R15 94T

Rebate form can be had at Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Home

Sorry it took a little while I erased all the sites I had checked after buying.

Hope it's of use to you or anybody else.

Guest crazytrain2

It does prove though that we go "shopping" when making purchases, my wife on the other hand goes out "buying" !!!! lol

Oh and BTW - I negotiated the $70/Ea with no extra charges using the quote as leverage at a small shop. Which would be a major disadvantage if I were to get a flat far from home.

Edited by crazytrain2 (see edit history)

Thanks again for the replies Padgett and Crazytrain2.....I can't find the same tire pricing (exceptional pricing) anywhere in my area it seems. Now the used tire folks can't come up with the 120.00 set of 225s. They now want 140.00 for a mismatched set of 215s....still ok I guess if money is the main concern. I am still undecided. I am going to take a tread depth gague and go look at the used tires this afternoon.

*****Question...I printed out the instructions or a sheet that describes how to read the year of manufacture on tires, but other than visible means of inspection (visible dry rot evidence - cracking / spyder webbing), how old of a tire is still ok or appropriate to run Please????

thanks,

Nic

Mixed opinion. I have started replacing tires at 10 years but have had 20 year old tires that seemed fine (of course they had been garaged all their life and only had a couple of thousand miles on them). OTOH I would not buy a tire more than five years old.

As to the age, it is at the end of a long series of characters that start with "DOT" and end in a stamped 4 digit (this century) number week/year.

The below example is a Feb 2010 BFG Touring T/A (note: this may be on only one side of the tire).

post-31022-143138704403_thumb.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Thanks again for the replies Padgett and Crazytrain2.....I can't find the same tire pricing (exceptional pricing) anywhere in my area it seems. Now the used tire folks can't come up with the 120.00 set of 225s. They now want 140.00 for a mismatched set of 215s....still ok I guess if money is the main concern. I am still undecided. I am going to take a tread depth gague and go look at the used tires this afternoon.

*****Question...I printed out the instructions or a sheet that describes how to read the year of manufacture on tires, but other than visible means of inspection (visible dry rot evidence - cracking / spyder webbing), how old of a tire is still ok or appropriate to run Please????

thanks,

Nic

100 pages of taxpayer dollars for your reading pleasure: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/PRIA-RollingResistance.pdf.

I have had a couple mechanics (neither sell tires) tell me seven years. I assume in cold climates may be a bit longer. And driving on asphalt roads increase the longevity of tires vs concrete (unless the concrete has grooves).