'55 tbird bumperettes

Guest paulmac1968

Guest paulmac1968

Couple of questions.... I have a '55 bird and I want to get the bumperettes rechromed. I'm in PA, anyone have any suggestions on a good rechroming shop in PA? Also, is removing them as easy as just undoing the bolts?

Once rechromed, I'd like to protect them from the exhaust pipes. Are their sleeves of some kind available to put over the ends of my tail pipes?

I don't have any experience with the specific job you are talking about, but I don't think taking the bumper guards off should be too difficult, unless the bolts are rusted. You may also need to remove the bumper to get at the bolts on the guard. One thing to consider is that if you rechome the bumper guards you may also want to rechrome the bumper at the same time, for obvious reasons.

If you do a search in the forum you will find places listed to get the guards rechromed. I don't have any direct experience so I can't help you there.

As for your last question, you can get chrome extensions and put them over each exhaust pipe. You can also cut the pipes short and put exhaust turndowns that exit before the bumper. That is what I do on my '57. It would probably be harder to do on a 1955, but I think it could be done. I got the turndowns at Prestige Thunderbird in California. Call them, talk to Rick and ask if it works okay on a '55.

Librandi's in Harrisburg (or Middletown Pa. to be more precise) does nice work.

I've done these before, you'll have a little work to do to put the screws holding the pieces together back, if memory serves there are three of them on each bumperette. The chroming process will mean you need to do a little work to make the screws fit again.

Librandi's Plating

Guest paulmac1968

Thx to you both for the info!! When you mention the three screws holding it together. Do you mean holding the bumperette itself together as one solid piece? Or three screws holding the bumperette to the bumper? At this point I just want to get them off the car.

Thx again.

Guest DonnerVogel567

LiBrandi's in Middletown, PA (near Harrisburg) does excellent rechrome

work. Each '55 bumper guard has two (2) attach points: 1st is a bumper

bolt at the bottom of the guard. 2nd is a nut that is attached to a stud

on the guard. Both nuts are removed from the rear of the bumper.

After the guards are removed, the front bullets and rear exhaust flutes

are removed. If the guards are original, they were attached with three

1/4 inch pan head phillips screws. If not original, they were attached with

1/4 inch bolts. Platers are usually smart enough to protect any threads

in the re-plating process.

I have BMW (yes BMW) chrome exhaust extensions on my own '55, which slide right over the exhaust pipe and insert into the rear guard round hanger

which is attached to the rear guards. The BMW part # is 82 11 9 413 970

and they're about $25 for two. They look good and the inside diameter of

the extensions are compatible with the external diameter of the '55 tailpipe.

The friction of both the tailpipe and extension will keep them secure.

Bob Hartig

McLean, VA

'55,'56, & '57E