No back penalties for old cars in California

xdmn

I just went through this today. The clerk insisted I had to pay 3 years of back registration and penalties. I showed him this paper and then he said "No, it has to be a historical vehicle and have historical plates." He wasn't budging. 

I then asked to talk to the manager and we went over the first sentence: "Planned nonoperation (PNO) requirements DO NOT apply to historical interest AND special interest vehicles. I told him I wasn't claiming it as a historical  vehicle (though it could be). I was claiming it was a "Special Interest" vehicle. It only has to be one, not both. And so we finally agreed and he typed in the proper keystrokes on the computer to wipe out the back fees.

Anyway, this document is no longer on the DMV website and so I am attaching it here. It looks a lot more official than trying to copy and paste internet text. Good luck!

12vin21.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I apologize for reviving an old thread. Regardless of all of the good information posted by everybody, im in need of some help in which applies to this topic. 

I have a 65 c10 that i had purchased a few years ago.

Shortly after i ran into some financial troubles but managed to be able to hold onto the truck. I have the pinkslip but I never registered it. When the truck was purchased, it was registered but was about to expire. Im about to get everything in order, im sure there will be some backfees. Do any of the codes mention at the begining of this thread apply to my situation? I would greatly appreciate any feedback .

Mario

Your user account doesn't say where you're located but if California, then there will likely be additional fees to re-register it if you did not obtain a Non Op before it expired. Of course, it might make a difference if it has been unregistered for so long that it has fallen from the DMV records, in which case there will likely be no fees to get it back into the system but it would require a VIN verification. It would be to your advantage to simply call the DMV to check its status. I am a licensed California VIN verifier myself and have assisted with vehicles where that has happened but I can't speak directly to the codes so this is from my own personal experience only.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, does this code still exist and would it apply to a 1991 maxima?  I have a 1991 maxima that I tried to junk but the California DMV wants me to pay $700 back registration.  I bought the car from someone a while ago but it wouldn't pass smog. I turned it over to my brother and found he never finished registering it (stolen by the mechanic - needed a new engine).  The car was towed to my home after my brother died a bit ago and the junl yard won't take it without the DMV junk certificate.  I don't have $700 to junk a car that doesn't run - I'm still paying for a funeral.  

Anyway to get this car junked or out of my garage without paying $700 iin back fees? The fees are now accumulating again cuz the DMV Rep put the car back in the system under my name even though I gave her the paperwork showing when I turned the car over to him and a copy of the death certificate.

It applies to any vehicle without regard to age and includes trailers or any thing else that uses the public roads but if you keep it long enough it should drop out of the DMV database. They say five years but it’s been my experience that they don’t drop it until later so you may by stuck with it! Best thing is to call and talk with the DMV again and explain the situation and see what they can do.

The critical issue is that you complete certificate(s) of non-operation for each period of ownership from the termination of the last period for which it was registered.  That means each person who had control for a period of time has to complete a non-op cert (not necessarily a formal non-op "registration" with the state) for his/her period of control.  That means "not driven or left standing" on any public road.  Absent a complete chain, you are liable for not more than three years of back penalties.  @Packard Donknows his stuff and I hope he can elucidate further.

Find another junk yard, that one is either NOT licensed or un educated.   A LICENSED dismantler can Junk a car that they have received without paying a penalty.   Some will try to scam the car owner by collecting the back fees due when they get the car from the owner.