New Owner of a '26 Standard

Guest cardolly

Guest cardolly

My husband and I are the proud new owners of a '26 Standard. I'd like to research the vin given on the title, where do I go?

We have quite a few cars, a couple of Model T's, but this is our first GM pre-war. I would love to hear from someone who owns one that is the same year, or within a couple of years.

We haven't had a chance yet to go over everything. The body and frame look straight and free of rust. The fenders and hopefully the running boards are inside the car. My dad was a professional mechanic, he knows how to nurse them into a start after many years. This car came to us from Oklahoma, where it lived for about 25 years, no other history.

Guest cardolly

I will proudly post pictures of our 39 Chevy pickup and my 67 Camaro as soon as I figure out how. Looking back on my user name, I realized it might have a double meaning, I had in mind the apparatus that helps you tow a car.

Cardolly, give us the information on the data plate, which is on the passenger side firewall. We need to know the model number of the car. Also give us the engine number, which is on a plate on the side of the engine. You also have a frame number. A tag is usually on the frame, passenger side, behind the front wheel. Dave Corbin is our historian and will give you all the production information you need once you have all the information.

Guest cardolly

The car lives at our shop, I'll try to get that info tomorrow. The vin given on the title is 1917711. All help is appreciated.

Guest cardolly

Here is the information I have:

Chassis #1408776

Engine # 1444686

I could not get the passenger door open, but I wonder if that number is the one used on the title, 1917711?

Thank you, Dolores F.

Guest cardolly

Thank you so much, Mark. I am really excited about this rebuild. We'll make a place for it this week and unload it so we can really see everything that is loaded inside. It looks mechanically complete, except for a hose. The first thing we need is tires so we can roll it around, but the wheels look to be in excellent condition.

Again, thank you for the information,

Dolly/Dolores

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dolly:

Buick factory records indicate that 1.408.776 was issued for a 1925 model 27. It's an early car for that year, being about the 1800th of 43,375 plus 636 rxport cars. Probable build date around Sept 1925. Engine number confirms original engine.

I hope this helps. Be sure to join the BCA and our Alamo chapter is near you!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest cardolly

Thank you Dave. Would you mind informing me of when production started and stopped on a given year? I am a little confused about it being built in Sept 25 and being considered an "early 25." I am aware that titles often reflected the year it was bought and not the model year. So if it is a 25, that's great with us, and even better that it is the original engine. The numbers of the chassis and engine were close enough for me to hope that it was possible.

Another question, what books are most beneficial for us to have? I suppose the service manual, anything else? I have the "Standard Catalog of Buick 1903-2004" by John Gunnell, it at least helps me with some identification issues. All of your help is appreciated. We are trying to "bone up" on what we'll be doing in the near future.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dolly:

Production of a given model year Buick usually got underway about August of the prior year. If Buick built 43,000+ cars of that model and had a 10-monthe production run, that's 4000 cars per month of that model. The 1800th car is about 2 weeks into the production run, so early September is a probable build date.

A few states got it right by using the manufacturer's model year and the frame number. Other states screwed the model year on the title up in various ways.

Regards, Dave Corbin

In my paper those number are for 1926 Standard model ,Serie number in my paper starts 1398244 and Master starts with 1412093.Engine number for Standard 1926 starts with 1439500 , and 1456915 on Master models.

Chassis #1408776

Engine # 1444686

Leif in Sweden.

If it was built in September 1925, it will be an early 1926 model. As Unimogjohn said the data plate on the firewall will give the year and model number. If the model number is 26-27, it was a 1926 year and model 27 is a two door coach. Seventy years of Buick by George Dammann has pictures of all Buicks, numbers produced, model numbers, etc . A simple way to tell the difference between a 25 and 26 is, a 25 has a combined starter/ generator at the back of the motor, where as the 26 has separate starter and generator

Rod