1936 Vent Window Seal - Trim it?

JoelsBuicks

I'm currently doing a prepaint fit-up of my vent window seals for my '36 Roadmasher. The seals around the vent window are a little long as you'll see in the photos. I am guessing that this was meant to be a razor trim job but wanted to check first. Everything else fits good - just can't get the divider bar close enough. Any experience out there with this?

Thank You!

post-55940-143138690446_thumb.jpg

post-55940-14313869046_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

I've done the same on my 1933 90. Looks pretty darn close to my setup.

Here's what I did- I got the seals from Steele. Looks about the same.

I adjusted the bar so the window just shuts behind the lip of the bar- There is also a rubber piece that goes inside the lip of the bar to seal with the window

The rubber piece on the bottom was cut to be flush with the bottom of the bar- I cut it a hair long for a good fit. On the original 90, the cut was a very little curve to flush, I made mine a straight cut, with a little notch. Use a GOOD blade

I haven't set the rubber completely, I'll do that on a massive detail project, maybe next Spring/summer now. It's one of those thing you would have to point out to somebody, but with an original side by side I have to stay honest !

Hint: if you have a " opps" you can glue it back together with super glue, never even know it. Beware, when the rubber touches together that's it. One shot.

Sandy Jones

2- 1933 Buick 90s( mine )

Infinity FX35( mine)

Nissian Murano( hers )

Dodge Ram 1500( hers )

Misc junk( mine)

3 cats, one dog, 3 horses ( hers )

wife of 27 years ( mine)

I'm currently doing a prepaint fit-up of my vent window seals for my '36 Roadmasher. The seals around the vent window are a little long as you'll see in the photos. I am guessing that this was meant to be a razor trim job but wanted to check first. Everything else fits good - just can't get the divider bar close enough. Any experience out there with this?

Thank You!

Sandy - Thanks for the advice. So, the little notch you are talking about would be a notch to accomodate the part of the vertical bar just below that vertical vent window edge seal? I think I understand. I also like the idea of cutting a little longer so as to create a tight resisting fit.

Did you just use weatherstrip adhesive to glue the vent window edge seal to the metal backing piece that tab-fits to the bar? That's what my plan was but I wasn't too crazy about it. Also, did you glue in the vent window seal (not the edge seal) into its metal channel? Mine will be somewhat loose if I don't do something like glue it in.

Good tip on the super glue - I already have one of those oops to try this on.

Thanks again,

Joel

Guest outlaw car man

I didn't try to notch cut it, just a slit for the bar. They don't fit like the original stuff, you just have to go slow. I need to clean my up a bit, one of those things you forget about.

I used a product called Goop to glue the seal in. If I remember it slips down a tiny track. This stuff will hold and you can remove it with a blade to clean up. I don't like the black weather stripping, I get it all over everything, maybe just me.

With Goop you can use a toothpick and put dabs down the bar, then slip it in. When dry, I used a blade to trim off excess.

I would do a dry run first.

The vent window seal the same, except I haven't secured it yet to the ends by the bar, as I said need to clean it up first. Once you glue it in ( whatever you use ) close the window and let it sit for a day or so.

The new rubber fits real tight, so you gotta really force it in, in some places.

So far it's worked great, be in for about two years now. The bar is a little tricky to get in position for the glass to fit on the edge.

Hollar if you need something else.

Sandy

Sandy - Thanks for the advice. So, the little notch you are talking about would be a notch to accomodate the part of the vertical bar just below that vertical vent window edge seal? I think I understand. I also like the idea of cutting a little longer so as to create a tight resisting fit.

Did you just use weatherstrip adhesive to glue the vent window edge seal to the metal backing piece that tab-fits to the bar? That's what my plan was but I wasn't too crazy about it. Also, did you glue in the vent window seal (not the edge seal) into its metal channel? Mine will be somewhat loose if I don't do something like glue it in.

Thanks again,

Joel

Guest outlaw car man

Maybe these will help- One is the original , other are the green one I'm putting back together-

Both are 1933, so keep that in mind if there are any differences from yours-

Sandy

Thanks again,

Joel

post-54015-143138692666_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138692671_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138692677_thumb.jpg