How Did You Get Started With Judging?

J3Studio

I'm thinking of starting to some judging with the AACA. I've purchased the current version of the judging guidelines (and read them). I've done a decent amount of judging Corvettes - with a completely different judging system, of course.

A few questions:

1) How did you get started with judging?

2) How did you pick what you judge? I'm not sure I want to stay with just Corvettes, but I do know them best.

3) Are there judging classes that are easier to get in than others?

Hi Studio,

I started in judging back in 1998 or so by just going to a judging school in Virginia Beach Va when the Tidewater Region had their National Meet there. I did not judge that day, but just attended the school to learn a few things. I thought my Corvette was ready for the show field, but a gentleman from Long Island NY parked his 1957 Cascade green Corvette beside me. He blew my wife and me away. The car was beautiful but what really got our notice was when he opened the trunk and took the replacement drivers seat out of a plastic bag and put it in the car. I knew right then I was out of my element.:)

I did not attend a school for a few years after that but started again when there was a request for more judges, so I jumped in helping out when I can. I'm still not a big time judge, even though I judged at the Grand National Meet this year in Santa Rosa Ca. A first for me.

As far as classes, I have asked the same question and get different answers about which class to choose. They generally say, do not judge a class that your car is in, or in your case, the Corvette class, because you know too much about them.

They say that you could know too much and would not be fair to the participants, as you pick their cars apart. I'm sure others will explain that better than I just did. The point I tried to make on another post on the forum is that we need more judges, and it's really fun when you get into it. Meeting your new friends at every meet during the year is special, gives you new reasons for getting out of the house.:P

Wayne

As far as classes, I have asked the same question and get different answers about which class to choose. They generally say, do not judge a class that your car is in, or in your case, the Corvette class, because you know too much about them.

They say that you could know too much and would not be fair to the participants, as you pick their cars apart. I'm sure others will explain that better than I just did.

Interesting - a very different perspective on judging. Thanks!

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

You don't really have much choice as to which class you will judge, especially as a newbie. You will be assigned to a class based on need. You do get to specify the class you prefer but there are no guarantees and as a beginning judge it is unlikely you will be asigned to your first choice.

You don't really have much choice as to which class you will judge, especially as a newbie. You will be assigned to a class based on need. You do get to specify the class you prefer but there are no guarantees and as a beginning judge it is unlikely you will be assigned to your first choice.

That makes sense and is what I would expect. I'm less worried about what I judge (assuming I can do a good job) than about not getting "typecast" into a certain class of car.

Hi Studio. :)

I got started in judging when I got tired of my husband coming back to our camper and telling me about all the great folks he was meeting and the friends that he was again seeing. I wanted to meet some great people too. And make some new friends. And I sure have over the years since 1991.

My husband has 103 credits and I now have 92. We are both Certified Team Captains and we have met so many wonderful people of every background, and level in the club, you can imagine. We have learned something new from someone every time we judge. It is an ongoing process.

Bill started out in class judging and has moved into working with the DPC evaluation team and I have stayed with class judging. This hobby is open to men and women of all ages. :)

I tend to put down my choices for the years of vehicles we have or have had in the past. But as Restorer32 said, you may or may not get what you ask for. :rolleyes: It is like being in the military. We are assigned at the will and needs of the AACA for each meet. Folks that ask for the specialty classes, ie. HPOF, DPC and others are more likely to be put where they have been specially trained to be.

Judging in the AACA is different than marque judging in that we are not as strict as some marque clubs about how the bolts are lined up etc.

Come on in, the water's fine. :cool:

I never showed or judged before the 75th Anniversary meet in Louisville, KY over the July 4th weekend, 2010. Friends convinced me to have our 1930 Packard judged, and while we were there I decided to attend Judging School, after which all of us "newbies" served with Al Terek, our instructor, as Apprentice Judges.

I was hooked, by year's-end had 6 credits and Senior Judge status, and now serve as Master Judge and have earned 13 credits as of Hershey Fall Meet.

I'm still learning, and have attended every school and CJE available, knowing that most will not increase my credits, but will increase or reinforce my knowledge and comprehension of the process.

Having been primarily in the "Touring" end of the hobby for almost 50 years, the whole idea of judging has opened another side of the hobby to me. I have also become involved in showing our cars. In less than 15 months time, the '30 Packard and '34 Buick have since been awarded their First Junior, as well as Senior status, and the '14 Buick took a 2nd Junior last month (damaged in trailer en-route to Oak Brook Meet, will be repaired and upgraded).

I've met some wonderfully experienced and talented judges who have helped bring me a long way in a short time (there was also one who made me appreciate the many others).

I am in awe of the responsibilities and talent of our Team Captains as well as those who tirelessly devote time to Judging Administration and Education.

Edited by Marty Roth
correction (see edit history)

I started in 1970. Attended a school at the Philadelphia Annual Meeting while we were living in Washington DC courtesy of the USN. Later, judged my first meet at Hershey as a member of the Model A team just as an "observer." They didn't really have an apprentice team at that time. I got interested because of having watched them in action at Hershey. Was impressed with the professionalism. I felt I knew a fair amount about Model A Fords so went that direction originally. That first time at Hershey was quite an experience - we were short one judge but the team captain asked me if I could handle it and made me the engine judge. At that time there were a lot of Model As on the field! I had to put it all aside for a few years when the Navy thought I should do my turn overseas. I wrote Chairman Howard Scotland and asked him if I could retain my credits while on a Navy assignment and still have a copy of his response - he is still a gentleman and scholar in my books! The rest is history - as I became more experienced I volunteered to do whatever was needed so got a variety of judging experiences on everything from motorcycles and brass cars to high performance. I even did a few years on HPOF and learned a lot. My experience on HPOF helped me decide to form a special committee to increase its prominence and significance for AACA and a team is hard at work right now coming up with some enhancements to that class. It was a proud occasion to be asked to join the National Awards Team and I've enjoyed looking over the best of the best. Seem to have gravitated to muscle cars lately, but it's something I grew up with so if I'm able to contribute to the team effort I'm happy. Judging is a great time and helps make AACA great. Hopefully we'll get even more people involved in the future. There really are not any classes "easier" to get into but we do need more expertise in the later model High Performance classes and we are loosing some old-time expertise in the brass car category. Specialty knowledge is always needed in the Corvette, Mustang, T-Bird and other classes where a lot of in-depth knowledge is important. Sports cars is another area that fascinates me - not only because we've restored MGs but because there is such a variety showing up these days. It seems to be a fast growing aspect of the hobby.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

This thread caused me to pull my chip boards down off the wall to see when I first judged. Looking at those chips brought back many memories. If asked I would have said I'd judged maybe 6 or 8 Hersheys. I was surprised to see that I have judged 15 Hersheys since I began judging in 1989.

Guest Siegfried

J3STUDIO,

I noticed that you are from Bryn Mawr, Pa. The AACA Annual Meeting is coming up in February in Philadelphia, Pa. A hop and skip from where you reside. Come on over, and attend the 8am judging school on Saturday. Heck, take Friday off, and come on over for a super day of educational seminars. You'll learn a bunch. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I missed the past 3 years at Philly. Never again. <o:p></o:p>

Judging at a national meet is an experience not to be missed. AACA has a non-marquee judging system that really works. <o:p></o:p>

I signed up in 1995 so I could learn, and also so I could get closer to the cars on the show field. I've never regretted my decision. Met a bunch of great car people over the past 16 years. <o:p></o:p>

J3STUDIO,

I noticed that you are from Bryn Mawr, Pa. The AACA Annual Meeting is coming up in February in Philadelphia, Pa. A hop and skip from where you reside. Come on over, and attend the 8am judging school on Saturday. Heck, take Friday off, and come on over for a super day of educational seminars. You'll learn a bunch.

Thanks for the advice. We do hope to attend the 2012 Annual Meeting.

I start on lark, but now it the one thing I do every year at Hershey. i call it giving back to the Club. I wish i could judge more often,

We had a great team this year at Hershey, I learn a lot and Team judge was great with me and the owners. I was nervous about judging the first two years, I feel much more comfortable this year. I believe point judging the historic Preservation class was very valuable lesson for me.

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

..... I believe point judging the historic Preservation class was very valuable lesson for me.

You actually meant point judging the Preservation/Repeat Preservation vehicles, right?

To put "Historical" in front of "Preservation" might be confusing to new folks that might think you are talking about HPOF (Historical Preservation of Original Features), which are evaluated rather than point judged. :)