1884 De Dion

D Bosco

:eek: :eek: :eek: That was way over RM's estimate. Still, to have the oldest running auto in the world would be grand at any price. :cool: I wonder if you need a boiler licence to run it? Dandy Dave!

Guest Mochet

Leafing through an old HCCA Gazette, I saw the old steamer in a 1990's London/Brighton run. It was a shiny racing green, but otherwise similar. It was fun to see it steaming in Hershey. They used little BBQ wood pieces dropped down the boiler chimney. Water bubbling up through the boiler seams was reduced with nut-tightening. Finally, the heat seemed to seal most of the leaks and, at about 110 pounds pressure, the thing puffed forward a few paces.

Phil

...............:cool: I wonder if you need a boiler licence to run it? Dandy Dave!

Don't know about a license, Dave, but lots of time is required.......:)

Thinking about the time that is required, wasn't it faster to just ride a bike???:D

Moved this thread here, so that the pictures can be in one forum.

post-31395-143138687435_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138687441_thumb.jpg

I was at the auction and the De Dion came up on the sales platform under it's own power with a trail of steam spewing out the back. When the bidding got serious it seemed the crowd was looking at us seated in the rear of the room. I looked behind me and the under/back bidder was seated in the row right directly behind me. He is a gentleman and a credit to the car collecting community. I felt sorry for him as he could not fulfil his desire to keep the car here in his collection.--Bob

The bidder was on the phone, wore a gray sock hat and dark sunglasses, unshaven with a suit jacket much too tight. I suppose he thought he was incognito and blended in with the crowd!! Next to him was a man in a suit with a briefcase, with a very stern severe demeanor, an Ichabod Crane look-alike, with a distinct British accent. Rumor now has it that the car was bought by a Middle Eastern investor.

I remember the car at the Retromobile Auction in Paris about 17 years ago. The car was a static museum piece then and missing the copper parts (probably scrapped in one of the Great Wars) which would allow it to run. The reserve was so low I almost actually bid on it!! Congratulations to the English gentleman who bought it in Paris and restored it to running condition, and also to the gentleman who learned how to drive the vehicle! It was indeed a thrill to see the car drive up on stage at the RM auction under its own power last Friday evening.

The auction event was a great Hershey experience for my 13 year old son, and something for him to always remember. After the auction he was able to talk to the driver and mechanic, and actually feel the warm boiler. Hopefully with this experience he will catch our "disease".

Wish the car could have stayed in the USA, but probably rightfully belongs in France.

Term" Automobile"" was a French word first used but NOT universally,,,in 1896 I think,,

The English of corse could not use a French word,,So Rolls Royce is a Motor-car,,,while the Panhard-Levassor is an Automobile,,smile,,,Ben Please note if I am wrong on this,,,CB

Can someone find the pic of this car,,DeDion in front seat,,,,and ZuLeeLee [ his lifetime helper]] at the rear seat,,,the last ?? time out together,, ,, ,, Ben,,,,one of those immages that should live in our minds forever,,,like the 1925 pic of Clara and Karl in the little Benz,,another last time out ?? CB

From Wikipedia: "The word automobile comes, via the French automobile, from the Ancient Greek word αὐτός (autós, "self") and the Latin mobilis ("movable"); meaning a vehicle that moves itself. The alternative name car is believed to originate from the Latin word carrus or carrum ("wheeled vehicle"), or the Middle English word carre ("cart") (from Old North French), in turn these are said to have originated from the Gaulish word karros (a Gallic Chariot)."

Guest snowshoe1

My buddy and I sat in at the RM auction (not as bidders but just nosey gawkers). We were convinced that the 1884 DeDion bidding would fizzle at around $1.5 million.... Lo and behold the bidding was steady and vigorous moving up into the rarified air above $3 million at $100,000.00 segments. When the bidding cleared the $4 million dollar mark ( although the room had hundreds of people in it) you could hear a pin drop. The bid hit the $4.2 million dollar mark and the hammer fell. WOW! We were flabbergasted....I think the RM folks were also a bit surprised ( happily I might add). That bid is followed by a 10% buyer's commission and then (maybe) applicable sales tax. I'm not sure if Pennsylvania gets to collect sales tax if the item heads overseas. We should have the plans available at the AACA library and maybe build a few just for fun.

The one to replicate would be the American,,,1863[?] Sylvester Roper [boston] steam wagon,,,Roper was a pioneer builder,,,,,Then we could have a RACE,,,,eh,,,,,Ben,,,hmm can we get the French to get out the Bollee that RAN the 1895 Paris- Bordeau-Paris race,,,732miles? on steel tyres,,now theres a real race,,,,CB

Am I a heretic if I say I don't get it?

I looked this over the last time it sold - 2007 at Gooding Pebble Beach and watched the movie etc. I don't get it either. I wonder how much is original and no matter what, it isn't that charming. I guess it is just an ego booster to have it for bragging rights.

Knowing the underbidder, who has an eclectic and flat-out astounding collection of one-offs, rare machinery, and things that just can't be replicated at any price (perhaps you recall that all-original Oldsmobile Limited touring car that's on the AACA credit card ad up above). For him, this would be an ideal addition to his collection, which is also part of a spectacular museum that he opens to car clubs and tours occasionally. So while I agree, this odd little squat machine isn't for me, no matter how valuable, I can see the appeal to someone who already has everything else and who is now focusing on things that are significant to history and completely irreplaceable. I also understand that he missed an opportunity to own it several years ago and regrets it.

Bear in mind that there are people out there for whom this kind of money isn't necessarily a massive amount. Yes, it's staggering from this side of the fence, but there are folks who can simply write a check for a number that big. It's all relative, especially when you're a guy like me who sometimes struggles to pay the mortgage each month.

Frankly, I'm more amazed by the winning bidder's single-minded desire to own the car. He didn't stutter for a moment, even when the bidding nearly doubled the estimates. I suspect he could have gone on quite a bit longer. We had several minutes of consideration on one end, finally a bid, and instantly it was raised, without hesitation. There was unquestionably A VAST amount of money behind the winner.

For many of us, this just isn't a rational hobby. Sometimes the heart just wants what it wants, right? :)

I do object to restoring something so that it looks old or even gives a hint that it might be original. Fine now when people know, but what about in a generation or two when people don't remember, and someone who thinks it is an "asset" jumps to the conclusion that it is all original? With restorations like that I am not sure how much is recreation and how much is heroic restoration. There is a fine line there - is it historic or just interesting? I don't know enough about this car to say. Too often paying big money at an auction amounts to showing off more than the value of the item. We have seen a lot of that with cars.

Dave, I do agree with your comments concerning what could be called "patina restoration". Usually, the person who does it is straight forward and will not pretend that it's anything but just that, an effort to make something look used or weathered.

But your point is well taken, what about 50 years from now?

I routinely "visit" an early car that I'd love to own. I absolutely guarantee that if this car showed up at Hershey, everyone would ooh and ahh about what a wonderful original car it is. I have a friend who is so tuned in to early cars that it's unbelievable, and I mentioned the car to him, and of course he knew history on it. The car was restored nicely in the early 1950's, then used and used and used..........and now it sits looking like a nicely kept, but well used, original car.

So, without the true back story, a new story could easily be born.....

On this vehicle that sold for 4 million plus, it's an amazing amount of money for any car, and I understand that, obviously, two people wanted it badly. I compare it, in value and bidding, to the Futureliner that sold a few years ago for about the same price. Two people wanted it then, but I bet you'd be hard pressed to get anywhere NEAR that figure for that bus now.......

I too had the pleasure of being at the R.M. Auction in Hershey. What a site it was to both see the car drive up on stage, and to be seated directly behind the winning bidder. WOW! What excitement.

I have a cell phone video posted of the car coming on stage. The winning bidder can be seen on the right hand side of the screen when the video opens. Got to love it!

Click here to view video: www.aaca.org/westernpa/video/1884_De_Dion.mp4

There are also a couple of videos on you tube.

This is a video of the entire auction of the 1884 de dion bouton et trepardoux. You can feel the excitement. There is a short introduction then the video moves on to the auction. I like it the best:

If you are having trouble opening the video that I previously posted (www.aaca.org/westernpa/video/1884_De_Dion.mp4)

I have placed a link on the Western PA Region's web page at www.aaca.org/westernpa that may open easier.

Results from the '07 Gooding Auction at Pebble Beach:

<TABLE class=prices_realized><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c8d5ee" class=even jQuery1318595382281="49"><TD>139</TD><TD>1884 De Dion, Bouton et Trepardoux</TD><TD>$3,520,000</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>