Early Birds at Hershey 2011

1957Birdman

I am getting ready for my annual trip to Hershey. I will be driving up from Rockville, MD tomorrow morning. I will be in the DPC area. My car will be the Colonial White 1957 with the Flame Red interior. Please stop by and say hi if you get a chance. Also let us know if you plan to come.

Well, Hershey 2011 is history. Made the trip up and back with nary a hiccup and a good time was had by all. Talked to one fellow T-Birder from Massachusetts who was more into drivers than show cars, as am I. There were a decent number of cars available for sale, mostly priced on the high side. I thought the best of those were the Marvin Hill cars which looked to have received a first class restoration. They weren't cheap, but the quality was there. There was another person selling a 1956 T-Bird painted No Sale (Thunderbird) Green with a white top and the asking price was $89K. I know this is a somewhat rare color (for the usual reason that it wasn't popular in 1956), but that price seemed awfully steep. The other thing about that car is that it had a modern voltage regulator painted blue. The original had a black voltage regulator with a Ford decal on it. It just seemed a little out of place to see the wrong color voltage regulator on an otherwise well restored car.

All in all there was a good representation of the 55-56-57 T-Birds at Hershey and great weather.

The other thing about that car is that it had a modern voltage regulator painted blue. The original had a black voltage regulator with a Ford decal on it. It just seemed a little out of place to see the wrong color voltage regulator on an otherwise well restored car.

Hi Lew, thanks for reporting on Hershey for those of us that could not make it.

On the voltage regulator, it seems there is always something standing out as wrong on an otherwise nice car. I often see cars with authentic markings on the hoses and other small details, then front and center is a big Wal Mart battery or something. Todd C

• 2 months later...

Hi I just joined the forum and have a question about transmission Codes. I have a 55 with trans #PAW7003-C I have read the PMB xxxx-C Trans was in the 55s and the PAW was in the 56. How do I determine if I have the original Tranny in mine? Production date was July 26th. Thanks, C.E.R.

Edited by eraabe (see edit history)

C.E.R - Welcome to the forum. As a point of information, you may want to start a new thread when asking a question such as this instead of posting it on another thread.

To answer your question, you are right that you have a '56 T-Bird air cooled transmission. If the number had been PAW - F it would have been a water cooled 1956 transmission. Most likely the transmission on your car failed and it was swapped out for a rebuilt unit. Since both the '55 and early '56 models had an air cooled transmission this was a logical swap. It shouldn't affect the running of the car or your enjoyment of it. Both have 3 forward speeds and work similarly. There is no way that you car came from the factory with the PAW transmission.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the info, Lew. I bought that 55 Thunderbird Blue car from Marvin Hill at the Hershey show you saw there. It is a beautifully done car and I am happy with it. C.E.R.