Another Engine Color question

Interesting on the colors of these Buick engines. I have a 1941 Super 50 sedan.

I believe it to be an original car with 24,000 miles. The engine is a dark sky blue color with a black air cleaner. Most of the photos I have seen of the '41 the engines are red. Can someone shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Wayne B.

1941 Buick Super 50

Fresno, Ca.

Wayne,

Most 1941 Buick engines were painted Dante Red. However, early 1941 Buick engines (until Nov. 1940) were painted the 1940 engine color (Gray). Replacement engines were painted black. The attached image is an early 1941 Buick Super.

The 1941 Buick Special came with a single carburetor as standard equipment, with dual carburetors (called "Compound Carburetion by Buick) as an option. The other 1941 Buick models had compound carburetion as standard equipment. Because of the poor gasoline mileage of the compound carburetion, many cars were converted to a single carburetor.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138686698_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wayne,

The 1942-1952 Buick engines were pained Turquoise. I recommend that you check the engine serial numbers in the BCA judging manual (available on-line). The engines produced after about 1948 (I am not sure of the exact year) had a different engine mount configuration. These engines have the front engine mount attachment points cast on the block. These later engines can be installed in earlier cars.

Grandpa

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/8/2011 at 6:09 AM, Grandpa said:

Wayne,

Most 1941 Buick engines were painted Dante Red. However, early 1941 Buick engines (until Nov. 1940) were painted the 1940 engine color (Gray). Replacement engines were painted black. The attached image is an early 1941 Buick Super.

The 1941 Buick Special came with a single carburetor as standard equipment, with dual carburetors (called "Compound Carburetion by Buick) as an option. The other 1941 Buick models had compound carburetion as standard equipment. Because of the poor gasoline mileage of the compound carburetion, many cars were converted to a single carburetor.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138686698_thumb.jpg

I learned something cool today!