1927 Chevrolet Roadster

Guest 29 roosevelt

Guest 29 roosevelt

I have an opportunity to get my hands on a 1927 Chevrolet Roadster. It is in a good #5 condition, (All parts there, little rust, most wood needs reworking, not running). How collectible are these and are the two wheel brakes enough for modern traffic conditions? Any other issues, mechanical or otherwise, to consider? Thanks, Mark

Edited by 29 roosevelt (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

Early Chevies are both "popular" and "desireable", but they are also less-common than Fords of the same era, due to GM's extensive use of structural wood in the bodies: the survival rate of Chevies of less due to that issue.

You're probably looking at $2,000 - $4,000 for a kit to completely re-wood that body, if a kit is indeed available...

I think open cars are still considered more desireable than closed cars of the same make/ year...

As for driveability, with a 4-cylinder 35 HP engine... the two-wheel brakes are probably adequate, but you would want to drive any vehicle of this era very defensively.

While the drivetrain was fairly well-engineered, parts are not as readily available as they are for a Model T or Model A, so that may have an effect on its use as a "driver"...

An important consideration is whether the car comes with a negotiable title, and that the serial number as listed on the title is still on the car somewhere... certain eras of Chevy had the serial tag nailed to a wooden body sill: over the years, the sill rots, and the serial tag goes missing.

The Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA) has a good internet forum for this sort of question...

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

The VIN is generallythe engine serialnumber

I drove oneofthese'27 Roadsters for 30 years (traded it from Trimacar) - a friend now has it, and is considering selliung now in Louisiana - yellow with black fenders - a fun car and very pretty. Very dependable over the years, too.

I have a 26 Chevy roadster. Before I started the restoration I drove it all the time. it's a fun and reliable car. While not as readily available as Ford parts of the same era parts are not at all difficult to find. The 2 brakes were good for the time but I would urge all due caution in todays traffic. Titles of that era often used the engine serial number for the serial number.