1939 Chrysler Saratoga

Guest Don Manen

Guest Don Manen

I just bought a Saratoga ('39) yesterday. Can't find any info to decode the tag on the cowl:

C23SS-1507

408-595

OD

JOB No 26-495

The VIN is 6673213 - which I believe is car nr 31 of the 713 made that year- IF I'm reading the chart correctly.

Guest De Soto Frank

C 23 is the Make / model / year Code:

C= "Chrysler",

"23" = 8-cylinder, 1939

SS = Saratoga

"1507" probably indicates what body style

"408-595" probably refer to paint and trim

( Going by memory, thinking of my '41 De Soto)

If you can find a copy of a Chrysler Parts catalog for 1939, it will have info to decode the body tag ( the large rectangular one screwed to the firewall, under the hood).

The serial number, 6673213, (what you will use as a "VIN") is stamped into an aluminun plate which is rivetted to one of the front door pillars.

'39 Chryslers are neat cars - congratulations on having one !

Please share some pictures if you have a chance !

Just curious, as I don't know much about the Chryslers of this era. The Standard Catalog the Saratoga, New Yorker and Imperial sedans were essentially the same car in 1939, with just differences of interiors etc, and a total of 10,536 built. Would it be likely that there was any sort of breakout of numbers, of how many of each there were? Has the info been found since The Standard Catalog was produced?

Guest De Soto Frank
Just curious, as I don't know much about the Chryslers of this era. The Standard Catalog the Saratoga, New Yorker and Imperial sedans were essentially the same car in 1939, with just differences of interiors etc, and a total of 10,536 built. Would it be likely that there was any sort of breakout of numbers, of how many of each there were? Has the info been found since The Standard Catalog was produced?

I have not heard of anything more concrete... Std Cat. of Chrysler also had production numbers for '46-'49-first series lumped together, with no yearly break-outs...

Does anyone know the status of the Chrysler Historical Archive in Auburn Hills since their Chapter 11 and sale to FIAT ?

Until recently, for a fee, you could send a request to Chrysler Historical Archive and obtain a scan of the build card for a given vehicle, going back to the 1940's and possibly earlier...