When did the first lighter come in a car

My 9 year old daughter asked a great question. Sitting in my 93 civic she noticed something that wasn't in the 2005 trailblazer. She asked what it was. I told her it was a cigarette lighter.

So she asked where the one in the 1936 pontiac was. It had an ashtray but no lighter.

So comes the question...when was the first lighter put into factory cars?

Not only that, the design of the basic push lighter and socket never really changed much until they became "power ports" and the lighter itself was dropped. You can literally take the socket apart in an '80s vehicle and install it in a '30s vehicle.

By 1932 the modern push type lighters were common.

They are listed in the accessories section of the 1928-33 Master Parts Book for Plymouth. Not sure if they were available for Plymouth in '28 but they certainly were by '33.

Interesting. My 1929 Chrysler 75 coupe does not have lighter OR ash trays. I've always wondered about that as I understood ( or assumed) smoking was common in those days.

My car came from a Dr in NJ. So, perhaps he was ahead of his time.

Just out of curiosity, what are the other dealer-installed options?

Thanks! Tom

PS the NPR special by Ken Burns on Prohibition was awesome for the cars!

I believe that 1936 was the first year for Dodge Brothers to get an in-dash lighter and ashtray. There were also ashtrays in the rear seat armrests on the '36 sedans.

Factory standard ash receivers in the rear on the '33 Plymouth. I guess they were for the children that all the ads show in the back seat. :)

No standard ash receiver in the front though. :confused:

Here is a pic from Inter-Mountain Electric co. No 12, printed 1921 which shows several accessory cigarette lighters. Hope the photo turns out well enough to see. At $2.50 each, these were quite expensive for the time wages typical for a day's work!post-59258-143138686643_thumb.jpg