1929 Blackhawk and earlier Stutz Chassis Question

X-Frame

This one is for the Blackhawk historians or owners hoping to find a quick answer to this question.

First, I am assuming the Blackhawk (from what I have read online) was introduced in January 1929? It appears to have a X-brace chassis.

Was this the only model Stutz to have it and was 1929 the first year of use by Stutz?

Think Stutz called it a "cross triangulated" frame?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Eric

Yes, the Blackhawk was the only one to have the X frame. The full size Stutz models did not have it. 1929 was the first year, and most were built in 1929. There were some in 1930 though. The 6 cylinder model is listed in Stutz literature later on in 1931/32, but none are known to exist.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

K8096

Thanks for narrowing that down for me.

I do see that Blackhawk was made before 1929 so I am assuming you are saying that 1929 was the first year with the X and probably the only year? I know the 1928 Blackhawk Boattail had a ladder frame.

Was the 1929 actually introduced in January 1929 instead of late 1928 as traditionally done with most cars?

Also, was it on all Blackhawk models or just the smaller ones... L6, Roadsters, Speedster, etc...?

Do you know of any photos or diagram sketches of this frame?

Thanks again!

Eric

dear eric First year 1929 X frame made 900 aprox in 1929 and 800 in 1930 SN start with 16000 Hightest is about 17700 They made car in 31 32 have pictures in the STUTZ NEWS of 31 showing this model . NO cars.exist They came with 6 cyl over head cam or 8 cyl continental flat head . I have a 29 4 pass speedster can see go to STUTZ BLACKHAWK 1929 and blog to concept carz . tan car with ct plate STUTZ

Thanks stutzl6. I was basically told that the Blackhawk was only a 1929 car and the 1930s basically were never made or only a few slipped through the cracks due to the company's financial troubles? You are saying 800 were produced?

Haven't gone to your suggested folder but are there frame pictures there of your 1929?

X frame In 1929 stutz made about 900 cars and 1930 they made 800 . In 1931 and up there are no record of how many we made and none exist. I have STUTZ NEWS of 1931 that has pictures of about 6 body styles. They had no bar between lights , hood lovers we vertial and tail light we different. The blackhawk body is the same as the STUTZ model M of 1929-30

If you have been following my Packard and this thread, I am trying to validate "which" car was the first American production to have an X frame. The Cord L-29 or the Blackhawk.

If you go by introduction, that would be Blackhawk since it came out in January 1929 while the Cord in August 1929. But the Cord prototype with its refined chassis was built in 1927. To some that would constitute the "first" unless I know when Stutz made its prototype to keep the Blackhawk in the lead.

It is for our book on the subject. Any idea on how to find out?

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi X frame Stutz blackhawk was in motor mag. jan 1929 also in Automobile ind mag. jan 5 1929 Stutz had dealer show called STUTZ BLACKHAWK CONVENTION on dec 19 1928 . This was listed in the STUTZ NEWS vol 1 no 17 on dec 10 1928 Hope this will help you . any questions call 8608060448 JOHN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi, I don´t know where to ask so I try do it here. I do own a 1980 Stutz Blackhawk IV Porte and need parts to restore it. Any of you guys who know where to go?

Regards

Michael, Sweden

Not sure if this will help or not but try this page and the links at the bottom of the page. I am sure there will be plenety of people who can point you in the right direction there!

Stutz Links

Eric

• 7 months later...