Why does'nt my hood open?

Guest Double M

Guest Double M

I bought brand new gas charged lifts, a few months ago, installed them...

... but when I pull that lever under the dash, nothing happens, it seems... then I move the car over a bump and presto... It pops up! Sometimes when I slam the door it also opens after pulling the lever.

This is really annoying, as I have to open the hood often to manually raise my headlight. So when it gets dark, I have to pull over, pull the lever, go find a bump to run over... just to open the damn hood! GRRRRR!!!

Ditto to the lube on the latch mechanism. Also stretch the spring a little bit. Another thing to look at is if the cable is pulling on the latch mechanism. If not you may have to rig some spacers on the far side of the cable where it pulls against the latch mechanism. We periodically have to do this on some of the cars we get in when we do car repairs at our church.

On my old '89 the parking brake worked just fine, but it nonetheless had the sag evident in the parking brake cable under the driver's door only when the parking brake wasn't engaged. Never got around to addressing it.

Well, they all sag a little bit, but if it's excessive, (like almost touching the ground) and takes more than 3.5 pumps to set it, then it probably needs adjusting.