Sign in to follow this  
buicknewbee

younger generation

I agree that if the brakes are done right, spending big bucks for a conversion is unnecessary. You might have to go to a larger town like Toledo or Columbus to find it, but a shop that relines brake shoes should fix you right up. Recently my 1951 Dodge pickup needed new brake shoes in front, and I expected to wait for the old ones to be relined. Au contraire. When I took them into The Brake Shop in Wichita, the woman took them in the back of the shop and came back with a replacement set right off the shelf. I was out of there in less than ten minutes.

Power brakes certainly require less force from your foot, but when driving the Dodge I have no trouble stopping. In fact, even with a Model T, a car with a reputation for terrible brakes, if they're properly maintained and adjusted you can lock up the rear wheels.

And above all, remember you are driving a 1957 car, not a 2007. You HAVE to accept an old car's "shortcomings" and quirks if you're going to own and drive one. If you can't deal with them, you probably shouldn't own one. Not trying to be an ass, but old cars drive and perform differently than modern stuff. That's a big part of their charm.

GREAT looking Burick BTW.

I totally agree! I realize the car is 55 years old and don't expect it to drive like a new one by any means. However I want my wife to enjoy it also and it just takes too much foot pressure to whow the girl down. I expect the car to have quirks,but its ok to make it more comfortible.

Welcome.

I just turned 48; it seems when I go to an antique auto event I am the youngest guy there.

PP

I'm almost 60 and I'm nearly the youngest one at a Concours.

Wellcome Aboard Matey. :D Your old Buick looks like a fine land yatch, But on the water, she be not floating so well. Aaarrrhhhhhh. ;) I be the owner of the infamous Chartruse Lady, which has become well known around the BCA circle. Come on in and Join up. The BCA is the place to be for Buicks. :cool: Dandy Dave!