Sign in to follow this  
buicknewbee

younger generation

Hello all,

Thought maybe I would introduce myself and explain what I'm looking for. I'm 36 and my wife is 34. we have two kids ages 2 and 6. I guess you could say we are unusual in our generation. I haven't been on a forum before and am having a hard time figuring out how to navigate, post questions, and join a thread. I'm not even sure this is going to go through. We just bought a 1957 buick special, and I thought I would join this group to hopefully make some new friends and get some pointers. Not sure if this is the right area for me, but figured it was worth a shot. Lets see if this works! :confused:

Welcome to this forum! It takes a little time, but you will learn the ins and outs of how to navigate the posts. Sounds like a nice car. If you post photos on here, try to limit the photo pixel size to 2000 pixels at the most in both directions and the photos should load without problems. We would love to see your car and you will not find a better group of folks to get information and fellowship from.

Welcome to the Forum, and the old car hobby. Having a Buick chances are they will drop you into the Buick section, I never go there, but thanks for stopping in.

Well I must have done somthing right! Yeah, I thought I posted a picture to my signature, but I don't see it. Going to work on that. I belong to a motorcycle yahoogroup and it has been a huge help over the years. Much easier to navigate I think. On the down side there is only about 300 members. So the diversity of answers is small at times. This should have much better reply results I think.

We just finished a small Sunday drive in the Buick with the kids. First thing I'm going to look into is maybe installing disc brakes with some booster assist. Wife likes to drive it, but the brakes take a lot of work for her. Other than that she (the car)seems pretty sound! Unfortunately, after I bought the car I discovered the stearing linkage is expensive for that year and mine needs replaced. So the saga begins. I wasn't realy looking for a buick, but the wife pointed the bodystyle out when we were at auburn Indiana a few weeks ago. I seen a 1940 buick 4 door convertible that was an older repaint. May have been afordable, but no price! I liked the lines, and wouldn't mind looking for one of them. I see the two door convertibles are out of sight. Never be able to afford one of them. I would like to join a for sale forum I seen available, but can't seem to find it again. Still looking.

Welcome to the forum. With two young kids I hope you have seat belts in your Buick. We like pics here on this site. To post them just click on "go advanced" and then "manage attachments" where you can post up to 10 of them. Good luck.... :)

Hello all,

Thought maybe I would introduce myself and explain what I'm looking for. I'm 36 and my wife is 34. we have two kids ages 2 and 6.

Awesome! I was 37 and my wife was 36 (and my kids were 4 years old and 10 months away from being born) when I bought my 1960 Buick. Definitely seek out the help of the Buick Club of America, especially the Glass City Chapter. They are great people to deal with. Buick owners are lucky to have such strong club support!:cool:

Buick Club of America - BCA - Welcome

BCA - Regions

Buick - General - AACA Forums

Welcome to the FORUM

I was 36 when we bought our 1927 Chevy Roadster, 1917 Franklin Touring, and 1958 Chevy Bel-air. Now, as you can see below, we have a few different cars, and enjoy both the TOURING, as well as the MEET (show) part of the hobby.

Our children, and now our grandson have grown up in the hobby, and have learned to respect dozens of surrogate grandparents while visiting historic sites, National Parks, and just plain wonderful USA from Maine to California to Oregon and Vancouver to the Florida Keys, to Montreal and Mexico. They have learned to drive on cars older than themselves, and will also preserve our "Rolling Americana"

Again, welcome to the FORUM ---- Enjoy !

I'm 37 and my kids are 2 and 5. I grew up in the AACA, in fact I've been a life member since 1980. I have seat belts in all of my cars, and my kids have been all over in them. My youngest, Sam, was 11 days old when I took him to his first Franklin Trek in the back seat of my '32 Franklin, a trip of 350 miles. I do feel like an anomaly of my generation, as am enthusiast of pre-war cars, but this club makes us all peers.

post-48034-143138681072_thumb.jpg

Welcome Buicknewbee, glad to have you here! I am also younger than most, 43, but like Steve above I caught the bug early about 1980 and been working on old cars ever since.

I would caution that the disc brake idea is sort of a knee jerk initial reaction a lot of people have for their old cars, but many here would tell you that properly operating drum brakes are really not a big problem for most old car touring if you are mindful of their limitations. Search here for past postings about that and talk to other Buick owners before buying an expensive brake system from someone who knows nothing about 1950s Buicks. Good luck and see you around, Todd C

How far you north of Dayton?

The AACA Southern Ohio Chapter members are generally located within 40 or 50 miles of Dayton. Distance is not a limitation, everyone is invited to tour with us.

We tour around the area and the October tour is the 15th and we will be starting from Monroe Oh. You are more the welcome to visit us with your antique or modern car.

The prime requirement to tour with us is to have an interest in antique cars. Bring your wife and children, we encourage family members. Our current monthly newsletter can be found at the following link.

New Page 1

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

Welcome.

I just turned 48; it seems when I go to an antique auto event I am the youngest guy there.

PP

Let me also welcome you, even though you have developed an affinity for Buick! I am an Olds man myself. I did own an ''85 Buick Riviera a while back. It was a nice car, but then it did have an Olds engine! I do frequent the Buick section here. You should get familiar with it and the folk who post on it. Enjoy that ride. It is a nice looking body style.

If you have the original brakes in good condition you will not need disc brakes. The stock brakes will put your whole family through the windshield if they are working right.

Their only downfall is they will fade out if you ride them down a long hill, solution do not ride the brakes, shift the trans to a lower gear. Normally this is a non issue unless you live in the mountains.

Specifically it sounds like the brake booster is not working. When new, those cars were criticized for the brakes being too touchy rather than too hard. So some attention is in order.

How far you north of Dayton?

The AACA Southern Ohio Chapter members are generally located within 40 or 50 miles of Dayton. Distance is not a limitation, everyone is invited to tour with us.

We tour around the area and the October tour is the 15th and we will be starting from Monroe Oh. You are more the welcome to visit us with your antique or modern car.

The prime requirement to tour with us is to have an interest in antique cars. Bring your wife and children, we encourage family members. Our current monthly newsletter can be found at the following link.

New Page 1

Hey we could probably do that. We are located close to Lima Ohio. We were just thinking about what to do that weekend. Could you send more info to me without cloging the forum.

If you have the original brakes in good condition you will not need disc brakes. The stock brakes will put your whole family through the windshield if they are working right.

Their only downfall is they will fade out if you ride them down a long hill, solution do not ride the brakes, shift the trans to a lower gear. Normally this is a non issue unless you live in the mountains.

Specifically it sounds like the brake booster is not working. When new, those cars were criticized for the brakes being too touchy rather than too hard. So some attention is in order.

Not sure if I should quote so everyone knows what or whom Im refering to, but I have seen others do it.

The fellow I bought the car from said the brakes were just done. Now I don't know if he replaced them hiself or had someone do it for him. I'm going to inspect them before long, but going to have some fun with it first. The master is new along with lines and cyclinders. Not sure if the pads are replaced or not. The brakes aren't power either so that could be part of the problem. I know this is an old heavy car, and i haven't driven another without some sort of power assist, but jeez I am about standing on it!!

Thanks all for the welcome! Of course I can't reply to everyone, but This seems to be a great forum! Consists of all ages and a diverse group of cars. Good to see that there are others interested in old cars with the same non-curable disease that I have.:D

Hey we could probably do that. We are located close to Lima Ohio. We were just thinking about what to do that weekend. Could you send more info to me without cloging the forum.

I just seen your link huptoy. :o Duh! Thanks

Two things to consider on this, Rusty O Toole can chime in too. I assumed you did not have factory power brakes, since as Rusty said they are overboosted to the point you literally need one toe for them to slam you through the windshield.

So you have newly rebuilt manual brakes that require too much pedal effort. I am sure the problem is that modern replacement brake material is harder than the original, thus requiring heavy pedal effort. This is very common now and many people have mistaken this as a problem triggering them to lay out big $$$ for a disc conversion. I say try to find old stock linings of the softer compound and you will probably be OK as is. If there is long pedal travel too they are likely not adjusted properly.

The other possibility is to change over to an original power brake setup, but I would try the new linings and adjustment first as it is a good idea anyway and probably will make them acceptable. The original power brakes have their quirks and are for another conversation, I look forward to others comments, Todd C

PS--buy the factory service manuals if you haven't already, they are probably out on CD for $30 or so.

If the brakes were just done chances are the brake shoes are not making full contact with the drums. In the old days brake shops had a machine to grind the shoes to the right size.

If you take off the drums and find the shoes are only making contact in the middle you can sand off some material with a sanding block. Remove some from the area that is making contact. this will speed up the breaking in process.

Without power brakes the pedal will take some effort but you will not have to strain anything. When they were new old ladies and grannies drove them so they could not be too bad. Poci makes a good point about the modern asbestos free brake linings.

It is possible to add an aftermarket power brake booster or convert yours to power brakes. You will have to do that anyway if you go to discs, disc brakes have an even harder pedal than drum brakes that is why disc brakes are always power except on a few small cars like Chevettes.

I'm 41 and in Cleveland. No kids, but a lady friend with two little dudes 3 and 6, and we're very involved with touring, showing, and doing car stuff. That's all I did when I was a kid with my father and have some great memories to show for it, and I hope I'm doing the same for these kids. Cars are a wonderful hobby for families, although I do find that I'm often the youngest guy at many events. I honestly don't know how to change that except to get out there and show the cars even more. When I roll up in the '29 Cadillac, people are often shocked that it's my car and not my father's, but the response is always positive and I think seeing a younger guy in the driver's seat makes people stop and think, "Hey, maybe I could get something like that, too." It certainly doesn't hurt.

Good luck and welcome!

Sometimes I get the same reaction, Matt. I get a kick out of rolling up in the Packard and seeing a group of "grays" (no darts as I admit I am graying a bit now also) with 60s musclecars looking at me a bit confused... It's all fun!

Young members are great but if my math is right Braverman became a life member at age 6?? Must have been some big decision at the time?? :D

The '57 buick is a nice looking vehicle for sure, and there are a couple guys on this forum who will no doubt be worth getting to know so hit on a good spot for that reason alone, buicknewbie. (will you be changing that "handle" when you have learned enough to school others on vintage Buicks??)

Mr. Harwood - will look for you most likely Thursday (traditional Chocolate Field day for me!) Thought about that Connie, nice but not for me, no hood duck... Want to say hello anyway though!! I am southbound soon.... :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Ya know, I just picked buicknewbee to start with as a joke because I wasn't getting it to go through. So I thought I'd loose it in that black obiss of technology anyway. Then all of the sudden there it is. I suppose I'll change it before long. Only everyone knows me now as the buicknewbee or buick new beginner.

Anyway, I have heard of shaping the brake shoes to match the drum. That might have worked back when linings were oversized, but now when you buy shoes they seem to only have thin linings and the rivets aren't too deep. It is very possible that the shoes aren't ajusted right, and the linings could very well be lifetime replacements (which are harder than steel).

Does anyone know of a repitable brake shoe shop with good soft lineings that is recomendable? This is for a 57 buick!

Concur on getting the right brake linings for this car. They're out there, just might take a little digging.

All brake shoes have a standardized item number and many different cars may use the same brake shoes. A NAPA or CarQuest parts store will come closer to having a catalog with that number than a chain. Once you know the correct item number, dig around for NOS or older production aftermarket brake shoes. You want something that still has asbestos or organic material (gasp!), not this lifetime ceramic nonsense that pervades us now.

Raybestos, Bendix or Wagner are all good names in brakes and as far as I'm concerned use more "appropriate" lining materials.

And above all, remember you are driving a 1957 car, not a 2007. You HAVE to accept an old car's "shortcomings" and quirks if you're going to own and drive one. If you can't deal with them, you probably shouldn't own one. Not trying to be an ass, but old cars drive and perform differently than modern stuff. That's a big part of their charm.

GREAT looking Burick BTW.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

All brake shoes have a standardized item number and many different cars may use the same brake shoes. A NAPA or CarQuest parts store will come closer to having a catalog with that number than a chain. Once you know the correct item number, dig around for NOS or older production aftermarket brake shoes. You want something that still has asbestos or organic material (gasp!), not this lifetime ceramic nonsense that pervades us now.

Raybestos, Bendix or Wagner are all good names in brakes and as far as I'm concerned use more "appropriate" lining materials.

For your local parts source it is a good idea to try to work with NAPA or CarQuest rather than Auto Zone or another big chain. The reason is the NAPA or CarQuest is more likely to have old stock and more likely to have experienced car people working with you. Auto Zone is bright and nice and convenient, great for oil or wax, but the old car owner is better served by using a more old school parts store. For mail order take a look at kanter.com . They have lots of parts available but be aware they now have a reputation for occasional mistakes and spotty customer service.

Just FYI, it appears your front brake shoes interchange with all 1952-57 Buicks except Roadmasters and all 1961-64. Rears are for all 1956-60 Buicks and 1953-55 Super/Century/Roadmaster. Good luck, Todd C