When is something too pitted to rechrome?

Guest buckfarmer

Guest buckfarmer

I have never had something rechromed before. But I can remember a thread on here from earlier this summer where someone was getting a windshield frame for a roadster made because his was too pitted too rechrome.

Here are some pictures of my window frame, any thoughts?

post-64154-143138680178_thumb.jpg

post-64154-14313868018_thumb.jpg

Before plating the whole thing needs to be mirror polished. If the rust is too deep then the thing can be ground through and may become useless by lossing integrity. Sometimes the pits can be salvaged (filled) with silver solder and ground & polished only afterwards, if it is steel or brass. It needs effort of course. Pot metal is another story.....

Pits can be filled by electroplating with copper to fill the pits. The plating on the unpitted surfaces is polished off leaving the pits filled. Depending on the condition of the metal it can take several applications to bring the surface back to specification. If you have any critical surfaces, mounting holes machined bosses etc., you need to tell the plater so he can make sure that those dimensions are correct when he is finished. If you don't tell him you may not be able to assemble your parts when you get them back. The picture that you are showing looks like you will have no problem with plating. Good Luck, Terry

If you believe the Hemmings ads, the chrome shops can bring any scrap of rusted metal back to original condition. The question is the cost. If you can find another windshield frame in good condition, consider buying it. The work it will take to restore the frame you've got can certainly be done, but will be very expensive. If you decide to work with what you've got and can find a shop to cooperate, you can do some of the handwork (sanding) between processes yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I think JerryVan is right on. I guess it always the expense is somewhat related to how thick the metal is. Filling pits on thin trim seems a bit different then a heavy steel such as bumpers. Then again, you would not want to lose any detail on dash trim or door handles, etc.

John