Sign in to follow this  
cobravii

WOW! What a gorgeous car this is!!!

I stumbled on this through another forum and just had to share it!

I cannot believe how gorgeous this car is. I fell in love with it right off the get go!

Now all I need is a lotto win (and THAT might not even be enough!!)

SHOWROOM

One error in the description, the car was designed in Detroit but built by Ghia in Italy because the Italians could build a one off car in half the time, for 1/10 the money of Detroit union labor.

If you can't afford one, how about a Karmann Ghia VW? Copied off the very similar Chrysler show car but scaled down to 3/4 the size.

Can see a lot of the later production turbine car in there. When did the typewriter start ? This has a column shift.

I like it except for the color and the lower portion of the front fenders. I think that is the "overbite" that bob is referring to.

2058_leadlg.jpg

Chrysler introduceed the pushbutton shift in 1956. Some 55 models had the shift lever on the instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel.

I'm curious abot the engine in this car. If it's a DeSote why does it have a Chrysler engine instead of a DeSoto? I suspect that the "restoration" put in a Chrysler because they are more available.

I like it except for the color and the lower portion of the front fenders.

I like it except for the front end and the sides. The wheels and tires are the best part of the car in my opinion.... ;)

GOOD GRAPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only it were a convertible........................

Somebody call those guys to see what the list is? I may have a few dollars left after Hershey!

One error in the description, the car was designed in Detroit but built by Ghia in Italy because the Italians could build a one off car in half the time, for 1/10 the money of Detroit union labor.

If you can't afford one, how about a Karmann Ghia VW? Copied off the very similar Chrysler show car but scaled down to 3/4 the size.

The Karmann Ghia actually came from this car;;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-J6IT2j-reus/TgzUgOc-ZyI/AAAAAAAAAc0/5Hxz54y9JKo/s1600/1952-chrysler.jpg

Don

What kind of car is this?

I think the sign in front of it says "Jewel Inc." I found it on a different site and have no clue myself what it is.... :confused:

[quote=Bob Call

I'm curious abot the engine in this car. If it's a DeSote why does it have a Chrysler engine instead of a DeSoto? I suspect that the "restoration" put in a Chrysler because they are more available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well you would think Chrysler Corporation and Ghia wanted the biggest engine available, so instead of the smaller (dimensionally the same on the outside) Desoto HEMI 276.1 cu. in. they used the Chrysler 331 cu. in Hemi. Remember in those days bigger was better and you can't tell the difference.

Don