WOW! What a gorgeous car this is!!!

cobravii

One error in the description, the car was designed in Detroit but built by Ghia in Italy because the Italians could build a one off car in half the time, for 1/10 the money of Detroit union labor.

If you can't afford one, how about a Karmann Ghia VW? Copied off the very similar Chrysler show car but scaled down to 3/4 the size.

Guest Bob Call

Chrysler introduceed the pushbutton shift in 1956. Some 55 models had the shift lever on the instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel.

I'm curious abot the engine in this car. If it's a DeSote why does it have a Chrysler engine instead of a DeSoto? I suspect that the "restoration" put in a Chrysler because they are more available.

One error in the description, the car was designed in Detroit but built by Ghia in Italy because the Italians could build a one off car in half the time, for 1/10 the money of Detroit union labor.

If you can't afford one, how about a Karmann Ghia VW? Copied off the very similar Chrysler show car but scaled down to 3/4 the size.

The Karmann Ghia actually came from this car;;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-J6IT2j-reus/TgzUgOc-ZyI/AAAAAAAAAc0/5Hxz54y9JKo/s1600/1952-chrysler.jpg

Don

Guest Kingoftheroad

2 Cool looking cars !!

You wouldn't have to twist my arm to own one of those babies. It would be hard choosing between the two though..

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

[quote=Bob Call

I'm curious abot the engine in this car. If it's a DeSote why does it have a Chrysler engine instead of a DeSoto? I suspect that the "restoration" put in a Chrysler because they are more available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well you would think Chrysler Corporation and Ghia wanted the biggest engine available, so instead of the smaller (dimensionally the same on the outside) Desoto HEMI 276.1 cu. in. they used the Chrysler 331 cu. in Hemi. Remember in those days bigger was better and you can't tell the difference.

Don