distributor for 1922 maxwell

drhudson

Very interesting.....guess you are right regarding trucks. I know in the early teens some cars used generators for lighting purposes only. But they ran independent magneto ignition. Do they say anything about the make of the generator? Looks like an Auto-Lite generator.

The Simms model B starter on eBay is a 1920-22 Maxwell starter (6V). I have one in stock too.

I just checked the gears on my AK CC magneto replacement distributor. 7/14 ratio angle drive. The OD of the gear on the distributor shaft measures 27/32", width 1/4" on a 1/2" shaft.

For gears you can contact Tom in the US (Old buicks 2) - tsvanmeet@gmail.com  or 402-359-5762

He has lots gears in stock.

IMG_0919.JPG

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Peter R. said:

Very interesting.....guess you are right regarding trucks. I know in the early teens some cars used generators for lighting purposes only. But they ran independent magneto ignition. Do they say anything about the make of the generator? Looks like an Auto-Lite generator.

The Simms model B starter on eBay is a 1920-22 Maxwell starter (6V). I have one in stock too.

I just checked the gears on my AK CC magneto replacement distributor. 7/14 ratio angle drive. The OD of the gear on the distributor shaft measures 27/32", width 1/4" on a 1/2" shaft.

For gears you can contact Tom in the US (Old buicks 2) - tsvanmeet@gmail.com  or 402-359-5762

He has lots gears in stock.

IMG_0919.JPG

the specs list it as a simms generator.  Oh boy!  I think my gear quest is coming close to an end.  Is your 14 tooth gear a single piece?  I can only imagine mine was butchered into 2 pieces for an unknown reason.

18 hours ago, Peter R. said:

I'll measure the exact diameter of the shaft tomorrow. Maybe the Delco-Remy distributor shaft is slightly smaller than the AK shaft so you can't do a press fit with an AK gear on a 629-A shaft.

Looks like I may end up trying to turn down my shaft, making a sleeve with pin hole for the gear to fit the new shaft size, and silver soldering it together.  If that fails I'll start with another distributor I suppose.  If I could only get my hands on one of these:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6310524&cc=1335530&jsn=559

Edited by MaxwellFox (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Peter R. said:

The Atwater-Kent distributor shaft is .4895" (12.433 mm). The gear is DP20. What's the OD of your gear?  

I guess I may have an AK gear set grafted to a later dist.  Gear is .845- .850 outside, .250 thick, .488 ID.

So in other words AK magneto replacement distributors are using the same 7/14 AK gears as AK angle drives. I measured the shaft diameters of several DR 4cyl. distributors including on a 629-A distributor and they are all .4897". So you should be able to press fit your 14 teeth AK gear onto a 629-A distributor without a problem (tight press fit). You might have a problem with your 629-A because it had been shortened. The current location of the gear on the shaft is now probably where the shaft used to run in the bushing. Now when the shaft is worn you will no longer be able to press fit the gear onto the shaft (my theory). Bush the distributor housing and use a new shaft with your AK gear and your distributor will be like new.

I made an adapter bushing to graft it together.  The end of the shaft was cruddy and reduced from all the punching that had been done to retain the gear before.  Since the gear I have is only 1/4" thick I didnt trust that as a mounting surface, plus it would'nt be very removable.  I turned down the end of the shaft to .375 and made a bushing with .489 nose for the gear and a .375 reamed hole.  I'm going to silver solder the gear to the bushing.  Need to put in a hole for the roll pin and I'm good to go.

IMG_20210311_103910_610.jpg

20210302_074002.jpg

Edited by MaxwellFox (see edit history)
  • Like 1