1953 mechanical lifters in straight 8??

Pete Phillips

I am working on a 1949 Super sedanet with Dynaflow transmission. The engine has apparently been replaced sometime in the past, because the serial number on the engine is for a late 1953 Special, which means it is a 263 straight eight. However, when I took the valve cover and side cover off today, I found mechanical lifters! I thought all Buicks had hydraulic lifters by 1951, and even earlier in the Dynaflow-equipped cars. The reason I ask, is becuase I need to replace these lifters. They have some rough spots on the bottom which will wear the cam lobes.

Has anyone else ever seen or heard of mechanical lifters on a 1953 straight eight?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

post-32059-143138671822_thumb.jpg

post-32059-14313867187_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77
From what I understand, any synchromesh 263 had solids, all the way up to '53.

Pretty sure you're right about that Aaron. From my research, if it has mechanical lifters in it, it was originally mated to a synchromesh trans. Only Dynaflow mated engines received hydraulics. Oh, and Pete take it from someone who just dropped almost $300 for a set of hydraulic lifters on my straight eight....it's gonna hit you square in the wallet!!

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Guest rsd9699

If you spring for new lifters - go for the cam as well as the case harding on the lobe is most likely worn away and realy to fail when mated to a new harder surface on a new lifter bottom.

Ron

This engine is mated to a Dynaflow transmission, not a standard shift transmission, and those are not interchangeable (standard shift engine has to go to a standard shift transmission, etc.). I know the standard shift engines had mechanical lifters, but this is mated to a Dynaflow with mechanical lifters.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

This engine is mated to a Dynaflow transmission, not a standard shift transmission, and those are not interchangeable (standard shift engine has to go to a standard shift transmission, etc.). I know the standard shift engines had mechanical lifters, but this is mated to a Dynaflow with mechanical lifters.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Pete,

The motors assembled for the Dynaflow had a crank that did not have the pilot bushing hole drilled which meant this has to be drilled before a motor from a Dynaflow car can be be fitted with a stick shift gearbox.

BUT - I don't think any problem would arise fitting a stick shift motor to a Dynaflow gearbox because the drilled pilot bushing hole wouldn't cause a problem.

So probably a stick shift motor will bolt straight into the Dynaflow but not a Dynaflow motor into a stick shift without some machining or a different crank.

There has previously been discussion here about the problems of fitting a Dynaflow motor to an earlier stick shift car and I think details of what changes were required were listed.