1957 mercury tailgate help

Guest tommygfunk

Guest tommygfunk

My 57 commuter “amblewagon” has the standard rear drop gate, but there is no glass or even guts to the gate. The gat latch is there, but nothing on the body. I’ve been told that there was a lift glass and the drop glass, but all I have is a piece of hacked in Plexiglas. Can anyone help me figure this out? I finally got her running and road-able, but the gate has no latch so I need more than a bungee cord!<O:p</O:p

Do you have a copy of the owner's manual that describes how the tailgate operates? I think the way the Mercury tailgate operates is that the window is in the tailgate and allows the car to be driven with the tailgate window rolled down. I'm also pretty sure that the window needs to be rolled down to allow the tailgate to be opened. My uncle had a 1960 Mercury station wagon and that is how his worked. On his the tailgate window was power operated.

It sounds like you are missing a lot of parts. If you don't have it already, you should pick up the 1948-1959 Lincoln Mercury Part Number Books on CDROM. This is available on eBay. It will have schematics showing the parts for all the systems on your car, including the tailgate. That should give you the information you need. Then the hunt for your missing parts begins.

Good Luck,

Guest tommygfunk

I have the original manual and ever the repair manuals, but the problem I have is that the car was converted into a amblewagon so some things have been changed by ACC. As far as the latch assembly I have learned it was an emblem I guess you twisted to open the gate. The window I honestly have no clue how it worked. I was told that ACC used a lift window, but once more I don’t think it had that. I guess if anyone has a mercury wagon please post photos of the rear gate.

Well, I must admit to being ignorant of what an amblewagon is, at least by that name. I did a little research and I think I understand your dilemma. It seems like there is more information on the internet about Edsel amblewagons than there is Mercury. Anyway, it appears that these amblewagons were custom conversions not done by Ford proper. There are some pictures out there on the internet of what the Ford and Edsel look like. Maybe you can find more information on a site that caters to ambulances, hearses, etc.