Sign in to follow this  
krb3

1946 216 Chevy 6 question

I have a 1946 216 Chevy 6 that was rebuilt and installed years ago in my 36 coupe. The owner said he reset the speedo to ‘0’ at that time. It now has 7400 miles and is a strong runner.

Yesterday I was visiting an old ‘restorer’ and he mentioned that there is a simple modification to the engine that circulates the oil via a simple tube attached by adding two tapped holes. Supposedly this modification helps the splash system on these old engines and extends their life.

Does anyone know of this mod., and how/ where are the new tapped holes should be located?

I can't think how the addition of two holes and a tube could make a 216 any better than it was. If the oil pump is in good condition it should deliver enough oil to keep the your engine running reliably for years and I am left wondering why anyone would want to change something that works well.

Al

The two holes are possibly to circulate opil through the engine when the car is laid up for an extended period of time --

at least that would be my take on it

I remember, when I was a kid in the 50's, some of the old Chevy 6s being equipped with auxiliary oil lines to the valve cover. I suspect the engines were so full of sludge or high mileage, and, this was done to make sure the valve gear got lubed to keep a tired engine running. I now own a 48 Chevrolet with the 216, and, the existing splash lube system seems to work OK.

Regards:

Oldengineer

I remember, when I was a kid in the 50's, some of the old Chevy 6s being equipped with auxiliary oil lines to the valve cover. I suspect the engines were so full of sludge or high mileage, and, this was done to make sure the valve gear got lubed to keep a tired engine running. I now own a 48 Chevrolet with the 216, and, the existing splash lube system seems to work OK.

Regards:

Oldengineer

this was commonly done on the Ford Y-blocks.

One common modification on a worn engine was to crimp the bleed pipe on the "T" of the rockers, this fed more oil to the rockers and quietened them a little. Nothing to do with enhancing the life of the engine though!

Al

One common modification on a worn engine was to crimp the bleed pipe on the "T" of the rockers, this fed more oil to the rockers and quietened them a little. Nothing to do with enhancing the life of the engine though!

Al

Yep, this was also done on the earlier 1929-36 Chevy 6. They were not the greatest at getting oil up into the rocker shaft, which leads to prematurely worn rocker bushings.