1926 Buick

Guest Classicjerry

Guest Classicjerry

We are working on a 1926 Buick Master Brougham in our class at the Gilmore Garage Works. We are in need of a hood for the car and also a spark plug cover for the Master engine. Tonight an unusual part came up that we will need to replace. We are trying to lift the body off the frame and we were disconnecting the fuel gauge from the body. There is a cable that runs from the dash to the gas tank in the rear. Are these reproduced?? I know that ours is shot. Any help or input anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

I ran into the same problem on our 1922 Model 48. The little

wire that runs in the cable housing connects from the sending

unit in the gasoline tank to the fuel gauge on the dash is simply piano wire. If you have a sample of the wire, take it to any music store that deals with and/or tunes pianos and they can fix you right up. Been there and done that and it works.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

terrywiegand@prodigy.net

Phone - (620) 665-7672

Jerry, make sure you save the sleeve for the cable. If the sleeve is gone or rusted you can use a sleeve that is used on bicycles. The actual cable is thin piano wire. Make sure that your lever in the tank is still functional and not rusted out, and the cork float is still floating and not fuel logged. It can be dried out and coated to make it float again.

Use the 1080 carbon steel, which is called music wire. Sorry, I do not know what diameter wire you should get. Maybe someone else will chime in. Here is the link to the wire. McMaster-Carr

Hope that this helps you.