Valve Puller

DSpringer

Original mushroom valves and split guides are biggest problem in engine..u do not reuse them unless you are uninformed..and you are now so advised...

Old tools are way cool..but I bought a super large channel lock pliers set grab and rock to get locks out....they are seized and wont come out ..even with cool tool...

get your torch, or die grinder , cut the spring / valve then pull the parts..What is your time and body worth?? If you have one of these cars, you have cash..buy new ford valves at any parts store..springs and keepers from Earle Browne or other vender (lz springs are special)

be done..solid flathead straight stemmed valvesand keepers solve to a large degree much of the oil use..

So you read this and say..he is wrong I need the tool..they are on ebay all the time...ask any Zephyrist...valves are the worst part of engine service ..you will bleed and be black and blue before you muscle them out...you will see.....if engine is in car..you are a real glutton for punishment...I swear.......

But......I put 75 miles on this weekend with no oil use..it can be done...go get 'em tiger!!

If you are going to replace the valves anyway ( yes, the '49 to '51 Ford will work) why not just knock the heads off the old valves by hitting them a good lick from the side with the valve open, drive the guide down, pull the keeper out, squirt a little penetrating oil around the top side of the guide and pry them up and out from the valve chamber. An old time Ford valve bar works pretty good for prying them out. Pulling the new valve assemblies back in is another matter altho the old Ford valve bar works pretty good if you use a spacer ( about 1/8" thick) between the knee of the bar and the valve chamber casting when pulling the guides down far enough to insert the keepers. Use plenty of assembly lube on the O-ring intake guide seals. Ford flathead valve keepers will not work as they are too wide so you must use the narrower V12 type. you will probably not need to get any keepers if you are careful when removing the old ones.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)