dipstick dilemma

Guest billybird

Billybird - Who did you buy the dipstick from? Do you have a known good dipstick to compare it to? It is possible that your previous dipstick was the wrong length. Anyway, when I get home tonight I will measure mine and let you know the length. I know that mine is the correct one for my car, which is a 1957. They used the same dipstick for all three years, so the length I give you will be the right one for your car also.

Wouldn't you just know it? I just went around the corner to measure a guy's '57 T-Bird dipstick for you. The engine was replaced with a 302. The original engine is lying there....no dipstick to be found. He had it, but of course, when it is needed, it's gone!!

Guest billybird

keiser31: Is the dipstick boss still on that engine? If it's not too much trouble maybe you could measure it. Then I could rule out that.

1957Birdman: The dipstick came from CASCO. I do not have a known correct dipstick to compare it to.

Guest billybird

1957Birdman: Thanks for the measurement. The dip stick is correct. I am now looking at the dipstick boss. Any chance to get a measurement of that? From oil pan to top end.

Guest billybird

1957 Birdman: Your tube measurement allowed me to find the problem. With close examination and a good light, it appears the tube top has been broke off { or cut off }, about 2" worth according to your measurement. Mine goes into the block also. CASCO sells new tubes; but how much trouble is it to take the old one out and replace it with a new one with the engine in the car? Do you know if the tube screws in or is just pushed in? Looks like it would be kind of hard to screw in as crooked as it is. Also, thank you very much for your help so far.

Billybird - I don't believe that the dipstick tube screws into the engine block. I also can't see in the 1949-1959 Ford Car Parts and Accessories Manual where there is any sort of gasket on the tube where it attaches to the block. It must be a tight enough fit that oil does not seep out the side. It may be a tapered press fit into the block. I would confirm this with CASCO. They have a help line where you can ask questions.

I wonder why someone would have shortened the dipstick tube? Who knows, there have been a lot of cruel and unusual things done to these cars over the years. I just confirmed that my car has a 312 V8, which it should. The only problem is that according to the casting number it is a block that was used for a '58 Mercury. At least I can honestly say it has a 312 V8.

Guest billybird

1957Birdman: I'm going to order the new tube. When it comes I will be able to tell more about how it fits into the block. I will call CASCO if I have any problems. I don't know why someone would cut the tube 2" off the top. I've been trying to figure that one out myself. I don't see how the top could get broke off either. To get an accurate oil reading, someone just cut 2" off the bottom of the dipstick to compensate for the 2" off the tube. Still a mystery but at least now I know how to fix it correctly. Again, thanks a million for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

what ever you do it is a good idea to drain the oil, then put in the proper

amount of oil

then put stick in and you can look at the stick and tell where the oil

should be when full. if stick is a little long or short will not

matter if you mark the stick where the oil is after proper amount

of oil is in the pan.

gene