'38 Special - Interior Fabrics

jeff

I am getting ready to order some fabric to re-do the door panels on my 2-door sedan. I would like to know that I am getting the right stuff.

The car’s paint code is 515 – “Rembrandt Black”. The wheels are either black with silver pinstripes, or optionally “Dante Red” with silver pinstripes. (currently black) The “trim code” is 400 – Tan Bedford Cord.

But, does the term "Tan Bedford Cord" mean the seat material only, or both seat and door panels? As I understand it, a "Bedford Cord" has fine ribs or cords running length-wise in the material. Wouldn't that defeat the stitch pattern that is supposed to be sewn into the panels? With that assumption, the Bedford Cord would be for the seats, while the panels would have a smooth fabric of the same color???

Can anyone straighten me out?

Thanks,

Jeff

Guest joe buick

Jeff, Hampton Coach sent me a swatch card and some samples for the 1940 everything you want in all right materials and colors, very nice stuff !

Jeff,

I got "Bedford Cord" tan fabric from Lebaron Bonny, which matched my '40 seats to a "T" !!!!

Though not cheap, it's a perfect match to my arm rests which I did not do.

Find a piece of fabric underneath (that has not seen the sun) and send it to them as a reference. Bedford is kind of like a low profile corduroy, and for such a "ritsey" car it sure is "plain" with not so much as a pleat or button on my limo.

Mike in Colorado

P.S. Only my seats are Bedford Cord. The door panels are a real short nap fabric that almost looks like velvet but it's not. It is a woven fabric.

Edited by FLYER15015
more info (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

FWIW, I have seen an original 38 Buick with bedford cord door panels at Horopito Motors in the North Island here in NZ. BUT, it was a NZ assembled car, and they can be different animals, as I found out with my old 39 Chevy.

Cheers

Grant