Antique engine needing identifying

Guest stephen48

Guest stephen48

Attached are three photos of a very old engine that is for sale but the identity is unknown.Can anyone identify the make and approx year please? I do not have any additional details,only what is shown in the photos.Thankyou.

post-76051-143138658356_thumb.jpg

post-76051-143138658358_thumb.jpg

post-76051-14313865836_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Buick Model C-24 or C-25, possibly CX-24 CX-25 in your case (built for export). It was the smallest offering, continued from the popular Model 10 started in 1908.

Interesting adaptation of a Model T Ford intake and carburetor. Also looks like a pulley added to the back to power someting else.

Neat find.

I hope this helps,

Chris Paulsen

McPherson, Kansas

Guest Al Brass

Hi Stephen,

I have a 1915 CX24 roadster with this same engine in Christchurch. There is another car in Auckland with a colonial or more recent roadster body and I think a partly restored CX25 tourer that was in Dunedin has been sold to the North Island somewhere. Where are you?

Al

Christchurch

Thanks Todd,

But I forgot the most important part. It's a 1915. I have had the great fortune of being around early stuff my whole life. It also helps that my father has a 1913 Buick Model 25 (very similar to this engine) and I have a 1913 Model 30 (virtually nothing the same).

Chris Paulsen-McPherson class of 1996

Guest stephen48

Hi Al.I am in Auckland but the motor is on the Canterbury Plains not too far from you.I thought it needed to be identified so someone who can use it can save it.If you are interested can you email me direct so I can give you the details? Regards Stephen.

Agree that it looks like a 1914 B-24 or B-25 series, or 1915 C- 24 or C-25 series engine. There should be a serial number stamped in the upper aluminum Crankcase on a machined flat area. I believe it is in the manifold side, but may also be near the rear support flange on the waterpump side. The serial number would narrow it down. Dandy Dave!