Driveline Dampener

Guest jwin

So the stud on the bottom end of my driveline dampener had broken off, and was therefore not doing anything to support/reduce vibration. I removed it yesterday, so I could try to track down the part (which I am having little luck with so far), and so it's not jiggling around & making noise. I'm trying to replace it asap, but I was curious as to how critical it is and if I should be concerned. I assume that it has been ineffective for some time now, but I thought I should check. Any thoughts?

Guest spiering.lucas

Are you talking about the small shock absorber on the passenger side of the car near the harmonic balancer? If you are, from what Daniel has told me most of these on peoples cars are bad but they never even notice. He told me they make a difference and GM put them there for a reason. Hard to tell what its like I guess unless you replace it with a good one. The only way to tell if they are bad is if you take them off or if they are broken like in your case. I know where there is a good one in a junk yard in Spanaway, Wa. on an 89 riviera that I got my transmission bracket from.

Yet another part to add to the unobtanium list. We had a lengthy discussion on this in a thread back in 2008 (I think). Even included discussion of ordering a large quantity group buy, just to get some made. That did not pan out, and availability of new (or even NOS) replacements has long ago dried up.

I was worried about it at the time I bought the 91, but have since gotten over the fear of it being worn out. I figure as long as it is in tact, I'll leave it. Not sure what I would/will do when/if it breaks off as described by the OP.

It should be noted the 88 does not utilize this part at all. I've not made a detailed comparison of the 88 to the 91, but presume the motor mount setup is different, and it was determined the vibration damper was not needed in 88. It was apparently added in 89.

KDirk

I know where there is a good one in a junk yard in Spanaway, Wa. on an 89 riviera that I got my transmission bracket from.

I'm going to do a little searching around my area first, but if you ever happen to be going to said junk yard, let me know, and maybe we can work something out.

Does anybody know if they we're used on Grand Am's, Bonnevilles, 88's, etc?

Edited by jwin (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

I didnt notice mine was even worn out until I happened to be replacing the serpentine belt one day. After disconnecting the top mount of the dampener I realized how worn out mine was.

I too looked for one online but couldnt find anything.

I ended up going to a few PickNPull's and starting pulling them off Riv's of the same vintage. (newer Buicks dont have them...they have a pretty beefy metal bracket down there instead)

Anyways, I pulled off about 4 of these puppies before I found one in good shape. I even pulled off an extra good one and tried to sell it on Evilbay.

Only sold it for about $8-10. :(

I believe that most Reatta's have dampeners that are at the end of their usable life and their owners dont even know it. :) Or.....maybe they dont care since some are questioning whether they really do anything anyways. :(

Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)