Sign in to follow this  
Joe Cozza

Split Rim Color

I think they were zinc or galvanized weren't they? I use hammered silver paint or have them powder coated silver. The hammered looks great IMHO and really hides pitted areas well.

John Parsons had an early NOS split rim. I had scrapings from it analyzed by X-Ray spectscrospy and it showed it was Zinc(galvanized)

I did not know this when I restored my '16 so I used 1 Part by volume of Rustoleum Navy Grey # 975 and 4 parts Rustoleum Aluminum # 470, The grey kills the aluminum sheen which does not look right on the rims.

Jack Carpenter.

I wondered about the coating too. I'll bet zinc is correct if it was analyzed. Some of the guys at the Greenfield Village Old Car Festival told me they thought it was cadmium plating. If it is zinc coating, I wonder if is it better to plate them or to paint them in something similar to zinc in color for easy touch up?

I had mine sandblasted then I painted them with a spray can paint called Holts Silver Wheels. It is an acrylic paint, is fast drying and easy to touch up. Also very close to the original color.

Rattle can silver looks a little hokey. I recall a cold galvanize paint in a spray can somewhere too. I personally like the Hammerite Silver or similar brand of hammered paint. I think the one I use is a Rustoleum product. I do like the "White Wall" or "trim ring" effect of a silver ring on a dark tire and wheel.

Edited by dwollam
Cuz I do! (see edit history)

Thanks all for your comments /suggestions.

I was going to paint the rims as I'm not a fan of silver paint but Dave W. talked me into the

Hammered Silver look.

Thanks Again

Rattle can silver looks a little hokey. I recall a cold galvanize paint in a spray can somewhere too. I personally like the Hammerite Silver or similar brand of hammered paint. I think the one I use is a Rustoleum product. I do like the "White Wall" or "trim ring" effect of a silver ring on a dark tire and wheel.

Well, my rims certainly do not look hokey. If you got straight silver maybe but not the proper silver wheels paint. I would not spend 18 years restoring my Dodge to end up with hokey rims. But what would I know.

I agree with you John, the proper silver wheel paints look good. I was referring to just cheap ol' rattle can silver.