Hershey flooding

Bob Giles

I just complete my Master Degree in Construction management, My final Course was to learn how and write a Stormwater Pollution control plan SWPPP.

That was real eye opener, the amount of soil that wash off bare ground is huge. Also i was surprised how much can wash off of vegetated lands too. I have a 5 acre property and loose up to 2 ton of soil a year, and if cover with vegetation, as state above the amount of runoff is exponential off pavement and building, compound a problem that nature causes.

Maybe my township should hire you to fix their messed up storm water system.

In my neighborhood storm water runs through a wooded area which feeds a 36" pipe that feeds the retention pond in the back of my house. In the township's infinite wisdom they put a metal grate on the front of this pipe. Wanna guess what happens when one does this and storm water passes through the wooded area?????

YUP, the grate clogs and the road floods. I have been cleaning this grate for years after my garage flooded a couple of times years ago. Cleaned it before and after Irene (no flood). This past week the heavy rain pushed debris from the woods to the pipe, clogged the grate which flooded the road, my garage and washed away 15+ tons of stone where I park my car trailer. Spent every night this week hauling stone from the pond just to stabilize the trailer so I could unload the car in it and move it. The stone trailer parking area will probably get rebuilt. Was looking at plastic grid systems that are supposed to help keep stone and/or grass from eroding due to storm water. Not sure if that would help in my situation or not.

My point is that properly designed storm water systems may not prevent flooding but poorly designed ones DEFINITELY contribute to flooding. Funny thing is, most people don't know the difference and accept their local township's word that nothing can be done with flooding. Some of us know that is not necessarily the case.

post-39705-143138656303_thumb.jpg

Maybe my township should hire you to fix their messed up storm water system.

In my neighborhood storm water runs through a wooded area which feeds a 36" pipe that feeds the retention pond in the back of my house. In the township's infinite wisdom they put a metal grate on the front of this pipe. Wanna guess what happens when one does this and storm water passes through the wooded area?????

Y

My point is that properly designed storm water systems may not prevent flooding but poorly designed ones DEFINITELY contribute to flooding. Funny thing is, most people don't know the difference and accept their local township's word that nothing can be done with flooding. Some of us know that is not necessarily the case.

they should of had some type ponding area, to control the trash, it be fun to design a correction.

Steve,this is sort of off post,related thought ,when can we actually pull in and set up?Also ,we have 3 spaces,moterhome and truck,we use these spaces for our parts and moterhome.Would like to ,maybe sell one of our cars,is there somewhere we could park a trailer,or should we wait till next year?Next year,come to think of it ,we will be showing the auburn,no room for 2

Edited by old car fan
more ? (see edit history)

Tuesday morning. Usually around 8 but whenever they give the signal it is time to go! All the fields line up per the instructions sent you in your packet. Many line up over night to be one of the first to set up. Actually, I am not sure where you can park your trailer other than the regular trailer parking off Canal road. Let me double check.

Does anyone know if the day parking lot across the road from the green field will be able to be used this year? Is the bridge ok at Union Station? I saw the Union Canal house resturant was under water and that is a shame as they had outstanding food. I hope everyone is ok and thing return to normal for the folks affected by the flood. Is there anything we as visitors can do to help the people that live there while we are in town?

From their website:

WEATHER NOTICE

Due to extreme weather conditions, Hershey Highmeadow Campground is closed through September 30. View updates on other Hershey attractions.

Hershey Highmeadow Campground remains closed at this time. Please check back for more information.