What to do with a 1978 Cutlass Supreme Brougham?

Guest doranj

I'm trying to figure out what to do with this 165,000 mile car. Bought new, it has never left the family. It looks a lot better than it is, having a serious case of frame rot (especially aft of the rear axle), and some serious body rust as well. Its original engine, a V6, has been replaced with a 307 cu in V8 from a 1987 donor Olds. Carb and distributor have been replaced with non computer models. It all works, but not quite right, suffering a power loss in the mid rpm range. On the plus side, it has many nice, original parts. The scrap price is $240/ton. I'm tempted to go that route, but I hate to see such a loyal servant come to that end, especially if there is a better option in the antique car community. I do not deem it an appropriate cantidate for restoration, given the rust. It is licensed and insured and gets driven occassionally. Let me know if you might have a better idea than recycling. Thanks for the help. Doran<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-44650-143138652548_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad
I think you got your money's worth out of that one.

^^^ What he said. ^^^

If you don't want it, just put it up for sale and see what you get, you might be surprised at the response. "One mans junk is another mans treasure."

It's like having a root canal. Should I spend the money and hope it lasts until I pass away, or should I just pull it and be done with it.

I have sold many cars, that felt like I was removing a wisdom tooth. Once you become so attached to the vehicle it's hard to let go. Just my humble opinion.

Guest Klayfish

I'm sure it would be really hard to part with a vehicle that's been a part of the family for well over 30 years. But unless you want to pour a ton of money into it, I'd say it's time to say goodbye. Like others have said, if a GM fan wants it for parts or something, great. Otherwise, may be time to let it go to recycling.

I would offer it first as a complete package. Put it on a site with scrap valuue as a minimum bid. It should have value to someone as a parts car. If it doesn't go, then head for the scrap yard. There are a number of salvage yards left that buy complete cars and then sell off parts for a while before scrapping. You may take a little less that way, but you will have some satisfaction that some parts will live on.

I would offer it first as a complete package. Put it on a site with scrap valuue as a minimum bid. It should have value to someone as a parts car. If it doesn't go, then head for the scrap yard. There are a number of salvage yards left that buy complete cars and then sell off parts for a while before scrapping. You may take a little less that way, but you will have some satisfaction that some parts will live on.

It depends on the junkyard, some only give a car 30 days or less. I like all old cars, I don't care what year it is. Some members here are not BIG fans of anything made past 1970, ok '75. For instance, if it was '38-'58 model looking like this and having rust problems they would not suggest scrapping, maybe because it doesn't have it's original engine. I don't know. The sad fact is, is that cars like this are disappearing from local junkyards looking like this. This car looks like it has nice sheet metal OR is this the "good" side? What other rust does it have? Where? How bad? I think it would be shame to scrap it, there are probably people out there with cars like this that wish they had something better to work with and could use a parts car like this. If you want to sell it you have to target the right places try posting an ad with www.classicoldsmobile.com or www.low-riders.com or a local auto parts or speed shop.

My thanks to everyone who replied to this post. I still haven't fully decided what to do with it, but there is an appealling symetry to driving it to the crusher, snapping a picture and handing the keys over. The car, located in Kentucky, does turn heads, but its an illusion. The aft part of the car is so rusted out that nothing holds the body to the frame. When crossing a rough railroad track, the rear body bounces up then slams back onto the frame. It has some good parts, notably the bumpers, glass, hood, trunk lid and seats, but unless anyone reading this knows of anyone that could use them, it is probably heading for recycling in the near future. Thanks again for your ideas and opinions. Doran