Does It Ever End??

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Seems like it's one thing after another. I've been in the process of cleaning out the oiling system on my 52 special for several weeks now. Cleaning each and every piece by hand. Completely disassembled and cleaned my rocker assembly which took about 3 days(breaking a rocker shaft bracket in the process). Dropped my oil pan and transmission pan. I cleaned about 4 inches of gritty clay-like crap out of my oil pan and about and inch out of my transmission pan and disassembled my oil pump all of which are currently soaking in a degreaser bath. Today, I decided to clean up my push rods......I got another expensive surprise while doing so. I wiped them down and cleaned them out with some weed eater string. Tried to blow them out with air but that wasn't cutting it so I sprayed some degreaser in there and blew some water through them. First couple were fine, but the 3rd one and almost every other one after looked like a sprinkler!! Looks to me like the seam where these come together on the side has worn away and leaks like crazy! Ugggghhhhh. So after sharing my frustration on the forum here guess it's back to the net to order some pushrods.....:mad:. I just wanna drive my car!!

Guest rsd9699

Since oil is thicker than water - I would not use that to judge the ability to deliver the oil to the rockers. You could clean them and solder them but they may be designed to spray lube the insides of the engine.

I am sure others will chime in.

I can say that this is part of the fun of owning an old car - the lack of oil changes is a common thing. My father-in-law always added oil but never changed the oil in any car he ever owned.

Ron