1946 Dodge pickup, wheel base?

Guest Holdendays

Guest Holdendays

Hello World,

I'm trying to find out what is the original front and rear wheel base for a 1946 Dodge pickup. I'm from Australia and since parts are hard to come by I'm fitting a Holden crossmember and differential to get it back on the road but the donor parts can't be more or less than 50mm of the originals.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Fred

Guest Richie09

Well, lets see...50mm is like 3/32 inch, so maybe cutting that spec a little close for those fat fenders, but as I read it he is replacing a third member, so I think the measurement he is looking for is the "track", or centerline of rear tire to rear tire.

Body Builders Dimensions is where these numbers are listed. I have these for a 1940 model, which I beleive is the same as '46-'47 but don't know for sure...60 inches rear 55 15/16 inches front.

Too bad you are so far away, I have an extra rear axel from a '41.

Hope this helps, Richie

Guest DodgeKCL

I agree he's describing the front and rear track measurements. But isn't 50 mm more like 2"? Actually on my ruler 51 mm falls exactly on 2". Or am I converting wrong?

Guest Richie09

No, you are right about that. I was looking at my ruler and its in cm (duh). I'm thinking he has a lot of options, seeing that it is not going to be stock anyway. My be that he needs to know what sized tire he wants to use first, then do the wheel offset figuring and then would have a real good idea what the axel width should be (and look good). Possibly a first series Dakota axel, I believe Holden is associated with GM, thinking about that Pontiac GTO that came out a few years ago made in "the down under".

I am offering my time to look into my old Hollanders to see what may pass as stock for this truck as Chrysler products parts quite often interchangeable, many exported.