prototype???

addicted to cars

Guest Al Brass

I doubt it would be Ford. They were not in the slightest bit interested in the jeep (Ford GPW) at the end of the war and left it all to Willys. It could be argued Ford failed to recognize the potential but it would have been quite some time later they themselves realized it.

Al

I doubt it would be Ford. They were not in the slightest bit interested in the jeep (Ford GPW) at the end of the war and left it all to Willys. It could be argued Ford failed to recognize the potential but it would have been quite some time later they themselves realized it.

Al

Ford bought Willys do Brasil in 1967, and built Jeeps in Brazil from 1967 to 1983. Whatever this thing is, it appears to be made at least partially out of non-North American Jeep components. The grille design in particular is not a Willys/Kaiser/AMC design, but does appear to be very closely related to the 1948/1949 version of the Willys Jeepster.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Randomnoize

This car is posted again. I got the same story as addicted to cars. I am thinking about looking at it tonight and maybe getting some more pictures.

Just curious if Addicted to Cars ever got any more info.

Al

I could be wrong, but I doubt Ford could have built Jeeps after the war contract ended. The contract was originally awarded to Willys and they owned the rights to the design, not Ford.

Guest Al Brass

The design of the standardized WW2 jeep had input from the Government, Bantam, Willys Overland and Ford. Willys didn't own any rights until late in the war when they registered the Jeep name. As mentioned previously, there was no interest shown by Ford at that point in time. If anyone had rights, it was probably Bantam, who built the prototype.

A detail that may interest readers is the famous Jeep 7 slot stamped grill was actually a Ford design, brought about in an attempt to simplify and reduce the cost of manufacturing the Willys "slat-grill' design.

Regards

Al

Edited by Al Brass (see edit history)

Other than being 4 cylinder and four wheel drive, the Bantam design and the Willys design bore nothing in common. Different engine, trans, axles, frame, etc., etc. It's like comparing a Bronco to a Scout. Same concept, entirely different vehicles. I am aware of Bantam, Karl Probst and the story of their attempt. Bantam was not chosen because they didn't have the capability to build the product in the quantities that the War Department required, so the contract was awarded to Willys and their, completely different design. Shortly after production began, it was realized that Willys couldn't build them fast enough either, so Ford was contracted to build them as well, but they were the Willys design, not Fords. I don't know about all of the legalities or who owned the design rights, but they were Willys' when production began

Guest Al Brass

Hi John,

You are partly correct. The Willys MA (post Quad) jeep incorporated many design ques from both Ford (Pigmy and GP) and Bantam (BRC40) and they were pretty much assembled from components (apart from the wonderful WO engine). These components consisted of Spicer axels, Warner gearboxes, Spicer transfer case and so on. It is true they were rehashed to suit the WO application. No single one of three companies involved can claim the invention as their own (WO tried hard to!) but it is clear that WO had more to do with it than the others.

Ford acknowledge this in their GPW model designation.

G = Government

P = 80" wheelbase

W = Willys

Kindest regards

Al

The story is that Willys, Bantam, and Ford submitted designs and the government choose the Bantam design but required modifications to the original design. Bantam lost out because they did not have the facilities to build them in the quanity needed, Willys wanted an exclusive contract but the government would not agree to that so Ford produced some and Bantam produced a very few but then the government awarded them a contract to build 1/4-Ton trailers to be towed by the Jeeps and they had all they could do to build the trailers.