cargeek2014

Car Transport Cost???

Hi Jim. The vehicle is a Mercedes Gazelle (replica) from Houston, TX to Chicago.I`m looking for closed transport

• Like 1

Chicago is a tough market to get hauling out of ...

Most guys are full running I-80 full in either direction.

Insurance auctions attract most carriers to Chicago,

they haul out the wrecked insurance vehicles from auto auctions ....

So, guys would like to get there with a load in to be able to haul out.

But Houston is a problem, not much demand to bring cars in ...

If you are driving anywhere near Houston, usually you are full

headed east or west along I-10 ...

Be prepared to wait several weeks to get a haul and/or

pay unloaded miles for someone to go pick up.

Good Luck !

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Like I said before, I would NEVER deal with an auto broker. My experience was horrible with them. Not just one of them, but many. They give you a low-ball estimate, and when you go with them, they can't find a driver willing to do the job for the price they quoted. THEN, they say "If we up the price, they should be able to find someone". Also, if dealing with an auto broker, NEVER give them a penney until you get your car. This also means no giving them a credit card number either. Contact an owner/operator for the best "true" deal.

Like I said before, I would NEVER deal with an auto broker. My experience was horrible with them. Not just one of them, but many. They give you a low-ball estimate, and when you go with them, they can't find a driver willing to do the job for the price they quoted. THEN, they say "If we up the price, they should be able to find someone". Also, if dealing with an auto broker, NEVER give them a penney until you get your car. This also means no giving them a credit card number either. Contact an owner/operator for the best "true" deal.

That is exactly how transport brokering works .....

Jim

Yup Jim, as you remember, you opened my eyes to the "truth" years ago. I also figured that the poster was an auto broker, or worked for one.

I may have missed it in this thread but insurance for damages is a very important thing to know prior to transporting.

What is the value of the car? Bill of Sale or Market Value in your area?

I had a recent run in with bad damage, I got lucky...the carrier is taking care of the full repair costs which will exceed the value of the car. I could have been screwed for thousands.

Customer has to have full ins on the vehicle that is being transported. If damage happens during transport, the owners ins pays the claim then they go after the truck inssured if the transporter is at fault.

Make sure if you have a small truck that you are having to transport your product and big carriers also that they have the correct Auth, Ins and documents to transport your products. A few of these transporters run under the radar. If you have any questions about transport, give me a call. Recently semi retired with 40 years of transport under my belt with 4 million accident free miles.:cool: 209-613-1199 Thanks, Dave

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

We gave up on using small time transporters. Too many complications. Even had one refuse to haul a customers' cars for us because he considered restoration shops to be brokers and would only deal directly with the actual owners of the vehicles.

I just hauled a Buick from California to the BCA National in South Bend IN and then on to Wisconsin for a buddy in the BCA. I was going there anyway to pick up a parts car, so he only paid for my gas one way....

Many on this forum have both open and enclosed car trailers and will travel empty one way to pick up or deliver a car. If you post your need on this forum, you can get lucky and have a true car guy haul your car for relatively low $$. Keep in mind that out west we have several high mountain ranges and long distances between cities that add cost for transport.

In a couple of months I'll need to have my truck shipped from NJ to CA, has anyone dealt with shipping vehicles in these 2 states and know what the price is? I know more about car shipping overseas costs as I had my car shipped from Uk some years ago with bidux but Ive never dealt with domestic transportation.

Edited by Jeoffrei (see edit history)

In a couple of months I'll need to have my truck shipped from NJ to CA, has anyone dealt with shipping vehicles in these 2 states and know what the price is?

Ive used Transport review dot com.. Excellent rating services of the top transport company in the country... Check them out and call the top company for costs..

Transport Reviews.com - Ratings and Reviews of Auto Transport Companies - Your Source For Finding a Quality Auto Transporter!

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to stop into this thread as I have read that many have had some bad experiences shipping their vehicles. If you do a search for auto transport and fill out a quote that says get 6-10 free quotes then this is where your problem came from. These sites are lead generators and they sell your info to transport companies. These companies know that your info is going to 6-10 others therefore they compete for your business. By doing so you get those companies that want your business so bad that they give a very low quote and then hit you up with a higher price once they set a driver up for you. This is bad business and places a negative tone throughout the industry. Remember, carriers also have in house brokers, so you cant really say avoid brokers, because you are most likely going to use one. On a side note if you are shipping from California to say

I suggest avoiding the lead sites and get a hassle free quote from the companies that do their own advertising etc. This way you get one quote and one phone call. Drivers get a specific amount to run certain routes, so prices should be within a close range. If anyone would like a quote I can do that for you without any hassle or BS. Just PM zip codes and what your shipping along with whether it runs or not and I will get you a precise quote back to you within a timely manner.

Thanks,

Todd

Edited by shovelhead (see edit history)

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to stop into this thread as I have read that many have had some bad experiences shipping their vehicles. First, its not so much the brokers that are the problem. If you do a search for auto transport and fill out a quote that says get 6-10 free quotes then this is where your problem came from. These sites are lead generators and they sell your info to transport companies. These companies know that your info is going to 6-10 others therefore they compete for your business. By doing so you get those companies that want your business so bad that they give a very low quote and then hit you up with a higher price once they set a driver up for you. This is bad business and places a negative tone throughout the industry. Remember, carriers also have in house brokers, so you cant really say avoid brokers, because you are most likely going to use one. On a side note if you are shipping from California to say

I suggest avoiding the lead sites and get a hassle free quote from the companies that do their own advertising etc. This way you get one quote and one phone call. Drivers get a specific amount to run certain routes, so prices should be within a close range. If anyone would like a quote I can do that for you without any hassle or BS. Just PM zip codes and what your shipping along with whether it runs or not and I will get you a precise quote back to you within a timely manner.

Thanks,

Todd

I have used Transport Review 4 times(2 cars from Cali) and recommended it to others and not one issue came up upon using there top rated auto transporters that is rated by customer feedback... I feel its an excellent site to see who and what companies out there with customer feedback to support ones decisions..

Sorry Todd, but I hold the brokers COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for what I had to go through. I do NOT like to be lied to, or deceived in any way, shape or form. When I looked into getting my car transported, I knew nothing about how much having a car transported would cost. On this site, Jim (Trulyvintage) set me straight. Because of everything that I had been told by these "brokers", I got pissed at Jim. I then did some more research on the subject, and realized that Jim was telling me the way it really was, and to not go by the things that these brokers were saying. This doesn't mean that all brokers are bad, but EVERYONE that I delt with (there were quite a few) flat out lied to me! When you put dollar signs in front of a lie, this doesn't make it any less of a lie. I finally delt with an owner/operator, and got the job done.

I for one will NEVER deal with a broker again if needing my car transported.

Sorry Todd, but I hold the brokers COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for what I had to go through. I do NOT like to be lied to, or deceived in any way, shape or form. When I looked into getting my car transported, I knew nothing about how much having a car transported would cost. On this site, Jim (Trulyvintage) set me straight. Because of everything that I had been told by these "brokers", I got pissed at Jim. I then did some more research on the subject, and realized that Jim was telling me the way it really was, and to not go by the things that these brokers were saying. This doesn't mean that all brokers are bad, but EVERYONE that I delt with (there were quite a few) flat out lied to me! When you put dollar signs in front of a lie, this doesn't make it any less of a lie. I finally delt with an owner/operator, and got the job done.

I for one will NEVER deal with a broker again if needing my car transported.

Remember to find a carrier running your route is pretty tough for the general public to find. If you are shipping say from Missouri to North Carolina who would you call? Most would think they could google a carrier and get it shipped, right? No, most likely the driver that could be running that route isnt from either state. But, a company you may call will have in house brokers that will say yes we have our own trucks but end up brokering that load out because their trucks don't run that route. Keep in mind as well that there isnt always a truck running the route you need. Alot of people think there is always a truck waiting to pickup their vehicle and that couldnt be farther from the truth. Check the reviews of companies like was mentioned in an earlier post and stay away from those lead generation sites.

Keep in mind that every day there are around 20,000+ vehicles needing to be shipped nationwide. Most drivers run where they can fill up and get on the road the fastest. If you are off the beaten path and 250 miles away from anyone else your gonna pay for it. A driver isnt going to run his 60 foot carrier 100 miles out of the way for the same price as the guy thats on the main route. Also, the industry works in time frames and not exact times. Its hard telling whats going to happen when on the road whether its a flat, traffic jam, storm etc. When people realize this it sure makes the shipping process so much easier for everyone.

Our drivers deal with a lot while on the road. For example, I had a customer call me every single day sometimes 3-4 times a day asking about her car. It was being shipped from New York to Los Angeles. The driver showed up early and she made him wait for 4 hours to drop off her vehicle because she was mad the vehicle was early and she was having coffee with a friend. The driver had to sit around and wait because the next drop was 100 miles away and it would have cost him too much money to drive 100 miles and then back with a 10 car carrier.

Take a look at this guide I wrote. It may help you guys understand how the shipping industry works. http://www.ultimatetransportguide.com/redirect.html

Edited by shovelhead (see edit history)

I will only deal with an owner/operator, never a broker. It took 4 long months for me to get my car. Constant lies from one broker, and then the next broker I got the same. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Nope, never again. These brokers have a real racket going. Promising the moon, but getting only salt. They lie to you about the price, knowing all to well that they will NEVER get a carrier to do it for that amount. Then, they say "well, if we offer them this much, I believe that we can get it done". Nope, that doesn't work, so they then say "well, they will do it for this much" but that doesn't do it either. Once I contacted an owner/operator (thanks to the membership here), that's when things happened, but not before.

I don't know you, and for all I know, you might be a decent guy. All I am saying is that there are a lot sorry people giving the rest of you a bad name. Like I said, never again!

shovelhead said:
Remember to find a carrier running your route is pretty tough for the general public to find. If you are shipping say from Missouri to North Carolina who would you call? Most would think they could google a carrier and get it shipped, right? No, most likely the driver that could be running that route isnt from either state. But, a company you may call will have in house brokers that will say yes we have our own trucks but end up brokering that load out because their trucks don't run that route. Keep in mind as well that there isnt always a truck running the route you need. Alot of people think there is always a truck waiting to pickup their vehicle and that couldnt be farther from the truth. Check the reviews of companies like was mentioned in an earlier post and stay away from those lead generation sites.

Keep in mind that every day there are around 20,000+ vehicles needing to be shipped nationwide. Most drivers run where they can fill up and get on the road the fastest. If you are off the beaten path and 250 miles away from anyone else your gonna pay for it. A driver isnt going to run his 60 foot carrier 100 miles out of the way for the same price as the guy thats on the main route. Also, the industry works in time frames and not exact times. Its hard telling whats going to happen when on the road whether its a flat, traffic jam, storm etc. When people realize this it sure makes the shipping process so much easier for everyone.

Our drivers deal with a lot while on the road. For example, I had a customer call me every single day sometimes 3-4 times a day asking about her car. It was being shipped from New York to Los Angeles. The driver showed up early and she made him wait for 4 hours to drop off her vehicle because she was mad the vehicle was early and she was having coffee with a friend. The driver had to sit around and wait because the next drop was 100 miles away and it would have cost him too much money to drive 100 miles and then back with a 10 car carrier.

Take a look at this guide I wrote. It may help you guys understand how the shipping industry works. http://www.ultimatetransportguide.com/redirect.html

Been hauling cars for 40 years retired. That incident with the customer making the driver wait 4 hours? That would not have happened to my driver. I would call the customer and tell them after 30 min, you're going to be charged 100.00 per hour or it's going to a terminal of the drivers choice. Never had a problem and its in the contract that 90% of the customers don't bother reading.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Concur completely. Do NOT use a broker. I run a business doing this, but can't help you as I am based in DC and don't go coast to coast. Call someone like Tom Sunday or someone else who is trustworthy. I started my business because I was so upset with the way my car was shipped using a broker...

Regards,

Matt B

"I have used white glove car shipping to move an 87 mercedes from georgia to new york and found the service to be affordable and safe"

THAT is a broker. Good luck using that means...sometimes you will luck out, sometimes you won't.

Edited by MB49Caddy (see edit history)

I HIGHLY disagree with using a carrier over a broker! I have been a carrier since 1997 and an auto transport broker for 5 years. Unless you are skilled in detective work or know your carrier personally you are taking a HUGE risk hiring a carrier. As a broker it is my job to protect my customers from putting their priceless vehicles on any transporter without first checking that their licensing is current, that they have adequate insurance to cover ALL the cars they are transporting, that their safety rating is at 90 or above with DOT, and that they do not have a negative performance rating with the national transportation review company. In addition, I belong to a national board of brokers and carriers who rate the performance of each and I use only transporters that rate 96% and above. Unless you are capable of having all that information in hand you have no idea what is going to happen to your vehicle. Here is a perfect example of hiring a carrier instead of a broker. One of my drivers recently sent me these photos of priceless cars sitting in a parking lot, UNATTENDED, IN THE RAIN! This particular carrier is using this truck stop as a terminal and brings his vehicles here in nice enclosed trailers, drops them and then takes them to their destination (in this case the port) on an open carrier. I know this company and their ratings and if you did you would NEVER use them. Yes, there are brokers out there that are ridiculous and take your deposit then leave you hanging but like all businesses you do your homework and avoid the obvious pitfalls ("get 10 free quotes quick") and you hire a responsible company that has a good rating and references, like mine. Here is a picture that speaks for itself as to why you don't hire a carrier instead of a broker!

post-60515-143142439675_thumb.jpg

Bonnie McAlexander, Owner

American Dream Transport Services

Web: www.AmericanDreamTransport.com

I HIGHLY disagree with using a carrier over a broker! I have been a carrier since 1997 and an auto transport broker for 5 years. Unless you are skilled in detective work or know your carrier personally you are taking a HUGE risk hiring a carrier. As a broker it is my job to protect my customers from putting their priceless vehicles on any transporter without first checking that their licensing is current, that they have adequate insurance to cover ALL the cars they are transporting, that their safety rating is at 90 or above with DOT, and that they do not have a negative performance rating with the national transportation review company. In addition, I belong to a national board of brokers and carriers who rate the performance of each and I use only transporters that rate 96% and above. Unless you are capable of having all that information in hand you have no idea what is going to happen to your vehicle. Here is a perfect example of hiring a carrier instead of a broker. One of my drivers recently sent me these photos of priceless cars sitting in a parking lot, UNATTENDED, IN THE RAIN! This particular carrier is using this truck stop as a terminal and brings his vehicles here in nice enclosed trailers, drops them and then takes them to their destination (in this case the port) on an open carrier. I know this company and their ratings and if you did you would NEVER use them. Yes, there are brokers out there that are ridiculous and take your deposit then leave you hanging but like all businesses you do your homework and avoid the obvious pitfalls ("get 10 free quotes quick") and you hire a responsible company that has a good rating and references, like mine. Here is a picture that speaks for itself as to why you don't hire a carrier instead of a broker!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]240015[/ATTACH]

Bonnie McAlexander, Owner

American Dream Transport Services

Web: www.AmericanDreamTransport.com

Wow! who knew, I would be pissed if I had someone transport a car and leave it out this way....I will save your info: thanks for the heads up...

Steve

• Like 1