Car Transport Cost???

Guest cargeek2014

Couple years ago I sold a  restored 1911 Ford Touring to a German buyer. He arranged for an economy hauler. The open car hauler arrived during a snow storm

in February, every car on it was gray and soaking wet. I took pictures of the load  and told the driver he was not taking this car. I then sent everything

to the buyer explaining what the T would have looked like when it arrived in Newark. He thanked me.

I've used Thomas Sunday on several occasions and highly recommend them.

I haven't posted in awhile but still get notifications from here.  I spent over 15 years in the business as a carrier and broker and was very good at what I did.  I took a lot of pride in my job as a broker but was constantly having to defend myself because of all the companies that were just in it to collect their part of the payment and didn't give a darn if the job got done or not.  I have always taken pride in our company and gave each customer 100%.

Unfortunately, my health has taken a turn for the worse and I am no longer able to work.  It killed me to shut the doors on my business but it won't kill me to have to defend my company anymore.  It sucks to be a good, honest person in a business where the majority are crooks or just don't care.

I want to leave you with some good information that you can use to check out any carrier or broker you want to use.

First and foremost, get their DOT number.  That is the number that you need to check them out.  Used to be the MC number but DOT is phasing that out.

Once you have the DOT number  go to  these websites to check them out:

1.  https://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/        If you only use one check point this is the one.  This is FMCSA/DOT website.  When you go there go down the page on the left and put in the DOT number for any carrier and it will give you a boatload of information including safety rating, accidents, etc.  If their numbers are higher than the national average I wouldn't use them.  You can see every time they were stopped and inspected and what their problems were as well as any accidents.  If it is a logbook violation it isn't so bad but if it is a mechanical infraction you know to avoid them.  If they show an OOS infraction that means the DOT officer parked them and put them Out of Service either to get their logs straight or to fix a mechanical problem.  Those are serious and you don't want your car sitting on a trailer that is unsafe or going to be parked for up to 11 hours.

2.  https://www.transportreviews.com/    This site is the biggest Review website for carriers.  This will show CUSTOMER complaints where the FMCSA will show the DOT complaints.

Good luck to you all.  There are still some good brokers out there who will work hard to make sure your vehicle is handled right.  Don't be quick to write them off because of all the bad ones.  

I still have this thread on my notifications.  If there is anything I can do for you or any questions I can answer about car hauling I would be happy to help.

Bonnie Walker

Hello Bonnie and sorry for your challenges. I have been back on the road for almost a year now after being retired for 8 years. Lot has changed. Paper logs to electronic logs. Can't stretch that line anymore. Setting here in my Motel room in West Palm Beach FL doing my 34-hour restart.

Couple things on your remarks about DOT.

Not always the case with, out of service.

Sometimes we are put out of service when you have a flat tire while going down the road and the DOt is there next to you. Just one example.

Lite burns out. Had a headlight go out while passing through a weight station.

We are parked 10 plus hours after being on duty for 14 hours. So you're saying that cars are unsafe while being parked for 11 hours if put out of service for 11 hours. If we're put out of service for driving hours, it's only 10 hours if your 70 or 80 hours is not used up.

Out of service for mechanical could be for 1 minute to a longer period of time. As soon as you get the problem fixed and recheck, your up and running.

Now for the broker problem.

Most brokers are putting unrealistic timetables and cost to the customer.

You people will put 5 to 7 days from CA to FL. BIG LIE!1!

You people will quote a low price and the customer goes for it, the car will sit. Called cheap freight.

You people will say, door to door service. That is the biggest lie in this industry. With a 1-2 car hauler yes, but not a 9-10 car hauler.

A lot of brokers have gone out of business since I have been gone. But the good ones that I have used before I retired are still in business.

We have 3 2018 trucks with a 4th one on order. 900,000 for 3 trucks.

100.000 a year in insurance.

Average fuel cost per run is 6000.00. That is from FL to WA and back.

Average pay per driver, 120 to 140K

As you can see, not cheap being in this business. I would never be an owner-operator again.

Some pictures of loads from the past to present.

13465942_10206950468822696_7223678869135250904_n.jpg

13501634_10206950468982700_7332929318911098094_n.jpg

13507260_10206950468502688_6121018204049655862_n.jpg

13516707_10206950468662692_6888076924883020198_n.jpg

13528990_10206950469382710_1703140916581928053_n.jpg

1525291535814 (1).jpg

IMG_20180502_152408 (1).jpg

IMG_20180426_153104 (1).jpg

1524072616916.jpg

1524072659371 (1).jpg

1523581031991 (1).jpg

1523026074156.jpg

1523026086677 (1).jpg

10 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Hello Bonnie and sorry for your challenges. I have been back on the road for almost a year now after being retired for 8 years. Lot has changed. Paper logs to electronic logs. Can't stretch that line anymore. Setting here in my Motel room in West Palm Beach FL doing my 34-hour restart.

Couple things on your remarks about DOT.

Not always the case with, out of service.

Sometimes we are put out of service when you have a flat tire while going down the road and the DOt is there next to you. Just one example.

Lite burns out. Had a headlight go out while passing through a weight station.

We are parked 10 plus hours after being on duty for 14 hours. So you're saying that cars are unsafe while being parked for 11 hours if put out of service for 11 hours. If we're put out of service for driving hours, it's only 10 hours if your 70 or 80 hours is not used up.

Out of service for mechanical could be for 1 minute to a longer period of time. As soon as you get the problem fixed and recheck, your up and running.

Now for the broker problem.

Most brokers are putting unrealistic timetables and cost to the customer.

You people will put 5 to 7 days from CA to FL. BIG LIE!1!

You people will quote a low price and the customer goes for it, the car will sit. Called cheap freight.

You people will say, door to door service. That is the biggest lie in this industry. With a 1-2 car hauler yes, but not a 9-10 car hauler.

A lot of brokers have gone out of business since I have been gone. But the good ones that I have used before I retired are still in business.

We have 3 2018 trucks with a 4th one on order. 900,000 for 3 trucks.

100.000 a year in insurance.

Average fuel cost per run is 6000.00. That is from FL to WA and back.

Average pay per driver, 120 to 140K

As you can see, not cheap being in this business. I would never be an owner-operator again.

Some pictures of loads from the past to present. 

13465942_10206950468822696_7223678869135250904_n.jpg

13501634_10206950468982700_7332929318911098094_n.jpg

13507260_10206950468502688_6121018204049655862_n.jpg

13516707_10206950468662692_6888076924883020198_n.jpg

13528990_10206950469382710_1703140916581928053_n.jpg

1525291535814 (1).jpg

IMG_20180502_152408 (1).jpg

IMG_20180426_153104 (1).jpg

1524072616916.jpg

1524072659371 (1).jpg

1523581031991 (1).jpg

1523026074156.jpg

1523026086677 (1).jpg

Great pictures!  Your comments about Brokers has merit but that is not how I did business.  I think being a carrier for so many years and then becoming a broker I came in knowing what it took for a carrier to survive and I did my best to always get them the best rate possible.  The biggest problem for me was trying to compete with the scum brokers and when I wasn't doing that I was constantly defending my honor as a broker.  It is not an easy business to be in when 90 % of them suck.

As for the "you people" stuff - those are the "damn broker" type.  I was never one of those.  I always asked my carriers to tell me pick up and delivery dates.  If I thought they were cutting it too short I would always add a day to it to be on the safe side.  It has been very difficult to convince my customers that things have changed drastically with the electronic logs but they don't want to hear it.  I bid things medium high all the time.  Getting my customers to accept that was another story.   It hurt to give up after all these years but I have some serious health issues and stress is a huge trigger and this business is ALL stress if you give a damn about what you are doing.  

2 hours ago, ADTS AutoTransport said:

Great pictures!  Your comments about Brokers has merit but that is not how I did business.  I think being a carrier for so many years and then becoming a broker I came in knowing what it took for a carrier to survive and I did my best to always get them the best rate possible.  The biggest problem for me was trying to compete with the scum brokers and when I wasn't doing that I was constantly defending my honor as a broker.  It is not an easy business to be in when 90 % of them suck.

As for the "you people" stuff - those are the "damn broker" type.  I was never one of those.  I always asked my carriers to tell me pick up and delivery dates.  If I thought they were cutting it too short I would always add a day to it to be on the safe side.  It has been very difficult to convince my customers that things have changed drastically with the electronic logs but they don't want to hear it.  I bid things medium high all the time.  Getting my customers to accept that was another story.   It hurt to give up after all these years but I have some serious health issues and stress is a huge trigger and this business is ALL stress if you give a damn about what you are doing.  

You people were not directed at you. I have never hauled for as far as I know of, so I cannot comment about your company. When I go on Central Dispatch, It's amazing what is posted. Want the car to move fast, charge a good price. The brokers that we haul for are getting the money. What are these brokers doing different that has been in business for 20 plus years doing differently?  A joke of a Freight Forwarder, UShip. Be careful with them. They do no background check. And stress will take a toll on your health. Please take care of yourself and hope things work out. I'm sure my day will be coming to the end as a driver. It's not a job for me, it's more of a hobby because I enjoy driving and meeting the different kinds of people in all the different walks of life. So with that said, I do not let the industry get to me. 

Take care of yourself.

Dave, the country traveler.

2 hours ago, ADTS AutoTransport said:

Where are you located? If I'm in the area, we can meet to have a cup of coffee and talk shop if you like. 

Dave

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 8:03 AM, qautotransport said:

Q Auto Transport: FMCSA licensed and Bonded. Get your Car Shipped Nationwide,  We ship to all ports and countries worldwide. We assure the best quality services behind every shipping. We're in auto transport firm for many years and rated as the top auto transportation services provider in USA. Learn more at https://qautotransport.com

Many times false with a 8-9-10 car hauler. Define door to door. With truck, car driven from truck etc.

2019-10-06 09_59_42-Q Auto Transport _ Best Nationwide Transporters USA _ Car Shipping.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/3/2011 at 4:26 AM, cargeek2014 said:

Hello,

I'm looking to possibly buy a car, but the problem is, it isn't anywhere close. So that's where I turn to the trusty forum. What would be the average shipping cost from Washington State to northwestern Indiana? Or are there any websites I could go to and get an estimate?

Thanks!

For the website, you can get an estimate from, I'll recommend this: https://carshipguru.com/

You may possibly not need it again but could be helpful to other members of the forum who needs car shipping quotes. 

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, intelligenceonline said:

A word of warning. NEVER deal with an auto broker! Only deal with the actual company or the owner/driver. I learned the hard way! Also, NEVER give them your credit card number! This is the way that they get you!

Just do a chargeback. 
Very hard to find someone direct with trucks.

Car hauling  companies don’t for the most part advertise.

99% of the time that a customer has a problem is the customer themselves. 
CA to The east coast want it in 5 days and only pay 800.00.

Not going to happen.

Car will sit until it pays 1800.00

On the broker side, they promise the world.

if you work with a broker, ask how many years and proof being in business.

min 5 years.

I work with many brokers and like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones.

Do your home work.

Been doing this gig since 1968 and still running a 10 car.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 2:42 AM, intelligenceonline said:

A word of warning. NEVER deal with an auto broker! Only deal with the actual company or the owner/driver. I learned the hard way! Also, NEVER give them your credit card number! This is the way that they get you!

EXACTLY

An auto transport broker has no responsibility for the actual cost or timeframe for the hauling of your vehicle.

They are in it for the booking fee.

They make promises on behalf of undisclosed carriers in order to get that booking fee.

What they promise you is not binding or enforceable to whoever picks up your vehicle - it is an estimate subject to change at the discretion of the carrier(s).

Scheduling auto transport is about keeping a trailer full in the general direction it is headed.

Your vehicle can be driven on & off a trailer multiple times - stored outside in transfer yards without fencing or security - transferred between multiple trailers - before it arrives.

Most vehicle damage occurs between the pick up and drop off during transfer & storage.

Your vehicle is a Package In The Mail.

Most folks think with their wallet.

I am contacted every day by at least one person who has been waiting on average a minimum of (30) days for their vehicle to

be picked up.

If you buy a vehicle at a distance - make it a condition of the sale in writing that it can be stored a minimum of (45) days.

If you want your vehicle to arrive in the condition it is in when you buy it:

The best thing for your vehicle is for you to drive or fly out to where it is - then drive it home if it will make the trip.

If that isn’t possible - go after it with 

a ( preferably enclosed ) trailer yourself.

If that isn’t possible - hire someone who

will do that for you that you deal with directly.

BE PREPARED TO WAIT YOUR TURN.

Deal directly with the person driving the truck pulling the trailer your vehicle is on or in.

Pay no deposit - give no credit card number.

Payment should be COD.

Jim

• Like 2

I move about 500 cars a year and none are transferred from my trifler to another. None set in the yard. We book cars on a timetable and most units are from brokers with a hand full of inhouse from repeat customer's. Most damaged is done from scraping trees. that is why I don't do door to door. I always arrange a big lot for pickup and delivery. Now, times that 4 trucks and that comes out about 2000 cars a year. We had 4 cars that was tree damage. You get more than that from car haulers that deliver new cars from rail yard to dealers. They keep the shops busy. Like i said from a previous post, there are good brokers out there. This has been the norm since I have been doing this since the 60s. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

just be careful--you get what you pay for--they're like chrome platers till it's to late--talkto people & make a question & answer sheet--type of insurance--haul loose parts--need to run--does it runeasy excess for pickup & delivery--good luck--Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Uship.com

With learning HOW  to wait

I got private enclosed trailer great INSURED hauler 12 Metz from Noblesville IND to Sparks Nv for little over $1200 door to door and a T from Kas to Sparks for little over a $1000

Yes these where door to door shipments newer cars probly be more

Shipped all kinds of antique to in or out of my home Check it out

• Haha 1